Snakes

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
Veem

Re: Snakes

Post by Veem »

Stompie wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:14 am
I'm trying to be philosophical, I'm sure all the snakes have been around all the time and it's just chance that we've seen them this year.
/quote]

Blaze being bitten happened 10 years ago Stompie and I haven't seen another snake since. We used to have a large exposed rock in the paddock where snakes used to sunbathe, but since the bramble et al took over that area I don't see snakes there either. :good:

crakpot

Post by crakpot »

A small glass jar with a few punctured holes in the lid, filled with Ammonia hydroxide left in their vicinity does the trick for months

Fitter

Post by Fitter »

Polarengineer wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:51 am
Oooh. Ammonia is sooo nasty. Ammonia gas is ultra explosive in the right mix with air and needs little energy to set it off. It is also extremely poisonous, so avoid breathing in the fumes. Regarding snakes in the garden, I am told that chickens are the answer. They also reduce the ticks, but unfortunately scratch holes everywhere, some of which are so deep that I now call chickens minerbirds.
Are you sure about that? You haven't been at the vodka again have you?

"The combustion of ammonia in air is very difficult in the absence of a catalyst"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonia#Gaseous_ammonia
“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” ― Mark Twain

Joeblck

Post by Joeblck »

I let my chickens free range all over my property,seems to work. I worry about them killing my doggies,snakes that is not the chickens.
London Irish.

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

I seem to recall a post from HardWorkingHippy, in another forum long ago, of one of her chickens with a dead snake - will see if I can locate it.

Stompie

Post by Stompie »

niemeyjt wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:15 am
I seem to recall a post from HardWorkingHippy, in another forum long ago, of one of her chickens with a dead snake - will see if I can locate it.
A friend I spoke to yesterday rescued a young coulivere from one of her hens last week.
Unfortunately we would have a live game of rock, paper, scissors. Snake beats dog, dog beats chicken, chicken beats snake!

Polarengineer

Post by Polarengineer »

Yes fitter, I have just had my daily dose of imported Russian vodka,so if I look fuzzy you know why.
I suggest you look up a safety datasheet of ammonia and see just how messy ammonia is. In its pure gas form it is considered an alternative fuel for ic engines with an energy density 3 times that of compressed natural gas. A dilute concentration with 87% water has an LD50 of 350mg/kg (rat).
True it has an autoignition temperature of 651°C and possibly a catalyst would speed things up but in my past safety training there have been many examples of unfortunates that have been blown to bits by welding vessels that once contained ammonia. You may recall ammonia is R717 as a refrigerant in your past work.
Don't believe everything in wiki, I have had a great time researching the data in my old Chemical Engineers Handbook, great fun, thanks for prompting me to look into this, good old times.
Attachments
Fuels for IC engines
Fuels for IC engines
Absolute-ly..I have become comfortably numb (with ice it's nice)

Fitter

Post by Fitter »

Yes Yes Yes - but it's not ordinarily explosive is it? Diesel fuel isn't explosive unless it's sprayed at high pressure and atomised into the cylinder of a diesel engine. Coal isn't explosive unless it's ground into a fine powder, blown into an enclosed space and ignited, similar effect to sugar or flour in the same circumstances.
Off to have large bourbon and branch now :D
“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” ― Mark Twain

Polarengineer

Post by Polarengineer »

Hic! I did say, like ice in my Vodka, hic. " In the right mix with air".
Absolute-ly..I have become comfortably numb (with ice it's nice)

rabbit

Post by rabbit »

Spardo wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:51 pm
Firstly, I think you might be re-assured that snakes are generally more wary of dogs than the other way around, and a noisy dog will scare one off before it even sees it.

But ammonia eh? Might that explain why I have seen none in the garden, but only in the ponds? I don't pee in the ponds. :|
A true gentleman! :innocent: