Snakes

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
mysty

Re: Snakes

Post by mysty »

When I was leading an SAS squad in the Amazon we used napalm :P
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

Firstly, I think you might be re-assured that snakes are generally more wary of dogs than the other way around, and a noisy dog will scare one off before it even sees it.

But ammonia eh? Might that explain why I have seen none in the garden, but only in the ponds? I don't pee in the ponds. :|

Veem

Post by Veem »

exile wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:34 pm
Unlikely to be an asp viper in 24 - too far north. Probably just a plain old boring adder - aka viper.
Would probably still not improve the dog's health if he got bitten though.

Having checked with Chri Luck's page I am well wrong and it could indeed be an asp viper.

http://planetepassion.eu/SNAKES-IN-FRAN ... rance.html
It certainly was Chris Luck who confirmed that it was almost certainly an asp viper which bit Blaze and we're in 16, so a bit further north still than Stompie. Not to be messed with ................

Veem

Post by Veem »

Just in case anyone should spill full strength iodine. Do not use soap and water on it - that just sets it hard and turns it jet black. Even ammonia won't shift it after that. Learn to become very patient, leave it alone for a few months, put a chair in front of the stain to hide it and eventually you'll find the stain almost disappears. :good:

Then sell the ammonia to anyone who'll part with money for it as a snake repellant ..............

Hope you find a solution Stompie. But, if your dog should get bitten, take him to the vet ASAP - you really cannot afford to wait at all. Same for any animal or human ...........

Do not try getting anti venom. There isn't one in available in France (it isn't allowed). Do not try the gadgets which purport to reduce the effects of the bite. Do not apply a tourniquet. Do not allow the victim to move more than absolutely necessary. Seek medical help immediately.

wilbro

Post by wilbro »

Yes Veem we intend to be careful. We have been a bit gung ho about the threat although realising it's there but this made us stop and think. Our concern is the cats and using ammonia is fine but how far do they go? We have a lot of woodland and in our acre and all we might do is shift them elsewhere in the garden.

Fitter

Post by Fitter »

Veem wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:07 pm
My ammonia is in liquid form.
Liquid ammonia is ammonia gas that has been dissolved in water - the gas used to be used in large commercial refrigerant systems - horrible stuff.
If work needed to be done to a section the gas had to be bubbled into a large container of water first to make it safe.
“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” ― Mark Twain

Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Spardo wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:51 pm
Firstly, I think you might be re-assured that snakes are generally more wary of dogs than the other way around, and a noisy dog will scare one off before it even sees it.
Snakes are deaf Spardo, they feel the vibration caused by approaching feet and dogs tend to walk very quietly as you know. Snakes also have very good sense of smell, so they may be alerted if they're downwind.
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." — Mark Twain

exile

Post by exile »

The good sense of smell is why they dislike ammonia which basically drenches their sense organs and is probably no more pleasant for them than for us.

Polarengineer

Post by Polarengineer »

Oooh. Ammonia is sooo nasty. Ammonia gas is ultra explosive in the right mix with air and needs little energy to set it off. It is also extremely poisonous, so avoid breathing in the fumes. Regarding snakes in the garden, I am told that chickens are the answer. They also reduce the ticks, but unfortunately scratch holes everywhere, some of which are so deep that I now call chickens minerbirds.
Absolute-ly..I have become comfortably numb (with ice it's nice)

Stompie

Post by Stompie »

I'm trying to be philisophical, I'm sure all the snakes have been around all the time and it's just chance that we've seen them this year.
Until we go to the shop and get some ammonia and/or deterrent I'll live up to my name and stomp about outside whenever it's sunny.