Snakes

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
Stompie

Snakes

Post by Stompie »

Does anyone have any ideas for deterring snakes?
We have a beautiful whip snake who lives in the barn outside the garden, he is more than welcome to stay but his viper cousin who I spotted in the enclosed garden can bu**er off. I'm paranoid that the dog will meet him and come off worst. Yesterday the dog dived into the hedge and reappeared with a shed snakeskin. I'm all for live and let live but there's a limit on who I'm prepared to share my territory with and poor Spot needs to be able to have the freedom of the garden.

Veem

Re: Snakes

Post by Veem »

I Googled your question and got this:

If snakes seem to always find their way into your yard, keep them away with ammonia. Snakes hate the smell and won't come near it. Soak rags in ammonia and place them in unsealed plastic bags. Leave the plastic bags where you usually see the snakes, and they won't come back again.

I have a load of ammonia from when I bought it to remove neat iodine which I dropped. It splashed up the wall and rapidly set. The ammonia stinks like mad and I'm sure must be very harmful to breathe in. But if it works on your unwelcome visitor it's worth trying. If you can buy a small amount, do. I bought about a litre, used a few ml and have no idea how to dispose of what is left! If you lived nearer, I'd happily give it all to you!

wilbro

Post by wilbro »

We have been here 13 years and never seen a live viper. Used to see them all the time in North Yorkshire. Walked down through our little wood today when my wife suddenly pulled me forward, "you were standing on the tip of a snake's tail" she said. Turned and looked and a brown colour with very dark markings and I'm sure it was an asp viper. It disappeared into a hole at the base of the tree, must not be so complacent maybe in future but what to do about it I don't know. I would never harm them so will have to hope the cats don't come across it/them. They have brought small coullevres to the house occasionally but that is a bit different!

Veem

Post by Veem »

wilbro wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:36 pm
We have been here 13 years and never seen a live viper. Used to see them all the time in North Yorkshire. Walked down through our little wood today when my wife suddenly pulled me forward, "you were standing on the tip of a snake's tail" she said. Turned and looked and a brown colour with very dark markings and I'm sure it was an asp viper. It disappeared into a hole at the base of the tree, must not be so complacent maybe in future but what to do about it I don't know. I would never harm them so will have to hope the cats don't come across it/them. They have brought small coullevres to the house occasionally but that is a bit different!
Be very careful if you have an asp viper. Did you read my post a while ago about our dog being bitten by one a few years ago? He was lucky to survive.

ajm

Post by ajm »

Most bricos sell a spray which we find very effective.
If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself. Mae West.

ajm

Post by ajm »

Veem wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:34 pm
I Googled your question and got this:

If snakes seem to always find their way into your yard, keep them away with ammonia. Snakes hate the smell and won't come near it. Soak rags in ammonia and place them in unsealed plastic bags. Leave the plastic bags where you usually see the snakes, and they won't come back again.

I have a load of ammonia from when I bought it to remove neat iodine which I dropped. It splashed up the wall and rapidly set. The ammonia stinks like mad and I'm sure must be very harmful to breathe in. But if it works on your unwelcome visitor it's worth trying. If you can buy a small amount, do. I bought about a litre, used a few ml and have no idea how to dispose of what is left! If you lived nearer, I'd happily give it all to you!
As ammonia is a gas - what compound of it are you using?
If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself. Mae West.

Veem

Post by Veem »

My ammonia is in liquid form.

Stompie

Post by Stompie »

Brilliant, thanks all! In all my Googling about snakes I hadn't found anything useful.
I think it's an asp viper I saw, his markings were different from the adders I'm familiar with. Our neighbour was bitten years ago and his story was pretty horrific. He's extremely wary of log piles and similar hiding places.

exile

Post by exile »

Ammonia gas is extremely soluble in water and is sold as (household) ammonia. Diluted in more water it is a very good cleaning product and will clear your sinuses at the same time. Two for the price of one.

exile

Post by exile »

Unlikely to be an asp viper in 24 - too far north. Probably just a plain old boring adder - aka viper.
Would probably still not improve the dog's health if he got bitten though.

Having checked with Chri Luck's page I am well wrong and it could indeed be an asp viper.

http://planetepassion.eu/SNAKES-IN-FRAN ... rance.html