Is shrinkage normal?

A place for some light-hearted chat.
FrenchForumSurvivor

Is shrinkage normal?

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

When I stopped growing, I was 172 cm (5'8" in old money) and I've been that height for years, I even think at some time it was noted as a detail on my passport (but not the actual UK one). When I met my wife over 10 years ago, she was the same height as well, so we faced each other nose to nose. I haven't measured myself for some time, though - why would I? - and it was only after a comment from my wife that she seemed taller than me that I decided to do so today: I've lost a centimetre somewhere, I'm now only 171 cm! Merde!
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Captain Morgan

Re: Is shrinkage normal?

Post by Captain Morgan »

Completely normal

The tendency to become shorter occurs among all races and both sexes. Height loss is related to aging changes in the bones, muscles, and joints. People typically lose almost one-half inch (about 1 centimeter) every 10 years after age 40. Height loss is even more rapid after age 70. You may lose a total of 1 to 3 inches (2.5 to 7.5 centimeters) in height as you age. You can help prevent height loss by following a healthy diet, staying physically active, and preventing and treating bone loss.

Extract from https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/003998.htm

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Well, that's a relief, I think.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Timoth

Post by Timoth »

There are other places where men shrink too! Dont worry, it is quite normal as well.👃🏻

Ally

Post by Ally »

Your brain?

Captain Morgan

Post by Captain Morgan »

Can't shrink a Tory brain!

bluebird

Post by bluebird »

1500-Shoes-of-the-1970s-56a866d85f9b58b7d0f27d82.jpg
Always have a plan B

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

According to QI tonight, shorter people live longer on average, and are more environmentally useful, being able to do the same amount of work as taller people while consuming less oxygen and food. So it isn't because they are nearer the grass that they are greener. Well their heads are anyway, their feet are all the same height. :lol:

Most really tall people are really only tall in the legs and therefore have longer long bones which become more susceptible to damage and wear with ageing. I am 5' 6" ( the only measurement I still can do only in old money for some reason) but a 6' 8" colleague at work and I were the same height sitting in a car. Also, at 77 years of age I am still the same height as I was as when a teenager, no shrinkage at all.

There were twins in the village I was mainly brought up in, nearing 7 feet in height, they walked a lot in the area, always together but to me always appeared like stilt walkers the way they walked, carefully. By their 50s one was dead and the other appeared but rarely, and always with 2 sticks.

Tom

Post by Tom »

:( I used to be 1.91 but have shrunk to1.88 even though I still stand up straight.

:lol: However, that's a good excuse for your BMI edging up a bit as you age.
“He who laughs last didn’t get the joke.”
– Charles de Gaulle

landmannnn

Post by landmannnn »

Apparently yoga can make you 1 to 2 inches taller.