Living under the radar in Europe

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Post Reply
exile
Posts: 3305
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:06 pm
Location: Central Massif
Has thanked: 975 times
Been thanked: 1167 times

Re: Living under the radar in Europe

Post by exile »

Catrose wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:07 am
exile wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:46 pm

The use of "usually" implies exceptions but the site gives no clues as to what those might be.

The fact that most big and reputable insurers do not offer 365 day insurance abroad raises the question of why and it may be that it is because they do not want to become involved with the legal complications of registration of vehicles not based in the UK.
I think the exemptions are thing like commercial vans, vehicles owned by military personal etc

And insurers only offer 6 months insurance as after 6 months residence you are supposed to change plates. So yes you can take your UK reg car to france, and if tell your insurer they you have moved they may well not insure you for more than 6 months more. And then a french insurer will insure you for 6 months if you say you have just arrived. If not, that is a bit of a clue as to what’s legal and what’s not.

Has anyone had long term car insurance when the nationality of the car plates does not match the country of the permanent address given to the insurers? Ie english insurance company insuring a french reg car to a UK address - or french insurer insuring UK reg car to a french address?
If you tell your UK insurer your have moved to France, they cancel the insurance instantly. They have no provision nor rights under EU directives to provide insurance to people living outside of the UK.

Ally

Re: Living under the radar in Europe

Post by Ally »

That's what living under the radar is all about. Otherwise, why do it? Nevermind. It's all in the past. 🤣🤣🤣

b33jay
Posts: 643
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:35 pm
Location: UK
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Re: Living under the radar in Europe

Post by b33jay »

exile wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:21 pm
Catrose wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:07 am
exile wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:46 pm

The use of "usually" implies exceptions but the site gives no clues as to what those might be.

The fact that most big and reputable insurers do not offer 365 day insurance abroad raises the question of why and it may be that it is because they do not want to become involved with the legal complications of registration of vehicles not based in the UK.
I think the exemptions are thing like commercial vans, vehicles owned by military personal etc

And insurers only offer 6 months insurance as after 6 months residence you are supposed to change plates. So yes you can take your UK reg car to france, and if tell your insurer they you have moved they may well not insure you for more than 6 months more. And then a french insurer will insure you for 6 months if you say you have just arrived. If not, that is a bit of a clue as to what’s legal and what’s not.

Has anyone had long term car insurance when the nationality of the car plates does not match the country of the permanent address given to the insurers? Ie english insurance company insuring a french reg car to a UK address - or french insurer insuring UK reg car to a french address?
If you tell your UK insurer your have moved to France, they cancel the insurance instantly. They have no provision nor rights under EU directives to provide insurance to people living outside of the UK.

UK motor insurers have to be a member of the UK Motor Insurers Bureau and cannot register foreign resgistered vehicles.

My UK insurer provides European cover for a total of up to 180 days in the 12 month period of insurance

Le Démerdeur
Posts: 11829
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:22 pm
Location: Picardie and occasionally Sussex
Has thanked: 2130 times
Been thanked: 1649 times

Re: Living under the radar in Europe

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Ally wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:06 pm
That's what living under the radar is all about. Otherwise, why do it? Nevermind. It's all in the past. 🤣🤣🤣
You had a good run but all good things come to an end, at least you are taking control and ending it on your terms. Your fixed car expenses (road tax, insurance, MOT etc) will be a lot less once the car is registered in France, in an ideal world it would be a lowish CO2 rating and over 10 years old but que sera sera.

When your EHIC stops working and you join PUMA if you need any help please ask.

Ally

Re: Living under the radar in Europe

Post by Ally »

My argument in the just over three years that I've been resident in France was and remains, if the UK government and its EU counterparts didnae have a clue what was happening, how the hell was I supposed to? There's no death penalty, so what's the worst that can happen? I'm putting it right now.

Le Démerdeur
Posts: 11829
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:22 pm
Location: Picardie and occasionally Sussex
Has thanked: 2130 times
Been thanked: 1649 times

Re: Living under the radar in Europe

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I know where you are coming from, its a prepared argument but one from my own experiences that I know you would never have needed to use in real life, with real people doing their real jobs in French administration, you want to declare yourself resident? - Fine, here is what you do, you want to backdate it because that would benefit you? - No problem, this is what we will do.................

Its only in forum land that you find yourself defending your position or being asked to prove that you had full private health insurance for the time you were here.

If it means that a few duckers and divers finally get to join the system and become above board without being publicly hung drawn & quartered tant mieux! Everyones a winner.

Mrs Archy
Posts: 1558
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:09 am
Location: Mayenne
Has thanked: 422 times
Been thanked: 443 times

Re: Living under the radar in Europe

Post by Mrs Archy »

exile wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:21 pm
Catrose wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:07 am
exile wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:46 pm

The use of "usually" implies exceptions but the site gives no clues as to what those might be.

The fact that most big and reputable insurers do not offer 365 day insurance abroad raises the question of why and it may be that it is because they do not want to become involved with the legal complications of registration of vehicles not based in the UK.
I think the exemptions are thing like commercial vans, vehicles owned by military personal etc

And insurers only offer 6 months insurance as after 6 months residence you are supposed to change plates. So yes you can take your UK reg car to france, and if tell your insurer they you have moved they may well not insure you for more than 6 months more. And then a french insurer will insure you for 6 months if you say you have just arrived. If not, that is a bit of a clue as to what’s legal and what’s not.

Has anyone had long term car insurance when the nationality of the car plates does not match the country of the permanent address given to the insurers? Ie english insurance company insuring a french reg car to a UK address - or french insurer insuring UK reg car to a french address?
If you tell your UK insurer your have moved to France, they cancel the insurance instantly. They have no provision nor rights under EU directives to provide insurance to people living outside of the UK.
My english neighbour has lived permanently in the village for over 20 years. Last year he bought 2004 english registered British built sports car, Ford Zetec 1800 engine. I don't know who his insurers are (didn't ask) perhaps specialist insurers but they have allowed him to use his french address. He says he would find it too difficult to get it french registered, CT'd, find spares etc - I did disagree saying he was making an excuse (tongue in cheek of course) especially when he said the yearly premium is £1100!
A vos et nos sourires masqués, puisqu’il ne reste que nos yeux pour parler… Déjà hâte de vous retrouver!

‘The brightest flame casts the darkest shadows’

Ally

Re: Living under the radar in Europe

Post by Ally »

My French insurance is approaching half what my uk insurance was. I've always known it would be cheaper. Money wasn't my motivation. It was ease of travelling back and forth. That became less frequent and has now ceased in that particular car.

Le Démerdeur
Posts: 11829
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:22 pm
Location: Picardie and occasionally Sussex
Has thanked: 2130 times
Been thanked: 1649 times

Re: Living under the radar in Europe

Post by Le Démerdeur »

And I can certainly understand the desire to keep it that way if your breakdown/recovery insurance covered you in France albeit only 90 days at a time. For all the use that the bundled or standalone assurance dépannage policies in France are to me I choose to go without, I would love to find the equivalent of AA/RAC/ADAC cover but those days are over.

After your big accident was the car repaired in France or the UK Ally?

I claimed against the 3rd party insurer for an accident in the UK over a decade ago when I had French tiers only assurance as I still do today, rear end shunt, the full monty whiplash etc, I got a quote from a UK repairer and they wrote me a cheque to have it repaired in France but deducted the VAT which they would have been able to reclaim, I wasn't too fussed, it cost nothing to repair but a snatch tow against a JCB and a kettle of hot water for the rear bumper and they paid out more than the car cost me so I ended up with a slightly crumpled & scuffed but free car.
Last edited by Le Démerdeur on Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ally

Re: Living under the radar in Europe

Post by Ally »

Repaired locally in France. I got to choose the garage, which was an approved carroserie, if that's how it's spelled.

Post Reply