Living under the radar in Europe

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Post Reply
exile
Posts: 3264
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:06 pm
Location: Central Massif
Has thanked: 963 times
Been thanked: 1145 times

Re: Living under the radar in Europe

Post by exile »

Ally I cannot claim to be an expert but I thought that car had to be exported and not SORN'd.

Ally

Re: Living under the radar in Europe

Post by Ally »

Yes. You are correct. The Sorn was a temporary measure during the lockdown. I wasn't up for paying road tax on a car stranded in a friend's garden in France. Thanks for reminding me.

whyme?
Posts: 1508
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:55 am
Location: Earth's End
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 472 times

Re: Living under the radar in Europe

Post by whyme? »

Ally wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:05 pm
Yes. You are correct. The Sorn was a temporary measure during the lockdown. I wasn't up for paying road tax on a car stranded in a friend's garden in France. Thanks for reminding me.
As a matter of interest, doesn't any vehicle in France legally have to have some form of insurance if it's capable of being driven or does this not apply to those which are UK registered & insured?

tim17
Posts: 1331
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:30 pm
Location: St Jean d'Angely (17)
Been thanked: 396 times

Re: Living under the radar in Europe

Post by tim17 »

I bought my current van in the UK and drove it back, as I already knew the reg number etc my insurers here were able to insure it so I was covered as soon as I took possession.

Le Démerdeur
Posts: 11695
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:22 pm
Location: Picardie and occasionally Sussex
Has thanked: 2102 times
Been thanked: 1627 times

Re: Living under the radar in Europe

Post by Le Démerdeur »

tim17 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:11 pm
I may be getting soft in my old age but I don't care what people do anymore as long as they don't bother me,
I never have been concerned about what others do, its their business, I was always amused by the outrage of others usually after they have struggled to do something, and lets face it most French beaurocracy is a struggle especially in the early days, and then want others to have as hard a time as them, its never on subjects where compliance is easy.

People keeping their car UK reg'd also amused me that they had to return every year for an MOT and since the advent of ANPR also had to purchase expensive road tax every year when if they had French registered the cost of the carte grise would have been 1/10 of the road tax they would have paid dependant on how long they kept the vehicle and the CT costs halved.

I kept off the radar for impôts for 9 years before I had income in France to declare, once I did so I realised just how much it had cost me doing so, how much less I would have paid in property taxes etc etc. They allowed me to do backdated returns for 4 previous years, as far back as I could go with claiming back the overpayments.

There will be no problem with anyone "regularising" their circumstances even after Brexit, most will have already done so, others will do so if they encounter problems regarding length of stay and returning within 6 months, the only ones sweating will be those en cavale and who will no longer have passports after a maximum of 10 years, they would never have been returning anyway so they will probably just carry on as they always have done. I have been surprised over the years to learn just how many can't return to the UK (or other countries) after I have gained their confidence.

Ally

Re: Living under the radar in Europe

Post by Ally »

why me? wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:17 pm
Ally wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:05 pm
Yes. You are correct. The Sorn was a temporary measure during the lockdown. I wasn't up for paying road tax on a car stranded in a friend's garden in France. Thanks for reminding me.
As a matter of interest, doesn't any vehicle in France legally have to have some form of insurance if it's capable of being driven or does this not apply to those which are UK registered & insured?
I don't know if that's the case. I was in a situation where I couldn't do anything about it. The UK insurance was void when I was absent and when I was absent I couldn't buy new French insurance. If it is true, it looks like I dodged a bullet. And I suppose it could only be driven if taken without consent.
My UK insurance was through Saga. The news that my insurance was void in my absence was a shock. That must happen hundreds or even thousands of times to second home owners when they take short trips back by air to Fraggle Rock during extended stays in France.

User avatar
mysty
Posts: 13725
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:38 pm
Location: dep18 and 23
Has thanked: 1095 times
Been thanked: 1852 times

Re: Living under the radar in Europe

Post by mysty »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:03 pm
tim17 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:11 pm
I may be getting soft in my old age but I don't care what people do anymore as long as they don't bother me,
I never have been concerned about what others do, its their business, I was always amused by the outrage of others usually after they have struggled to do something, and lets face it most French beaurocracy is a struggle especially in the early days, and then want others to have as hard a time as them, its never on subjects where compliance is easy.

People keeping their car UK reg'd also amused me that they had to return every year for an MOT and since the advent of ANPR also had to purchase expensive road tax every year when if they had French registered the cost of the carte grise would have been 1/10 of the road tax they would have paid dependant on how long they kept the vehicle and the CT costs halved.

I kept off the radar for impôts for 9 years before I had income in France to declare, once I did so I realised just how much it had cost me doing so, how much less I would have paid in property taxes etc etc. They allowed me to do backdated returns for 4 previous years, as far back as I could go with claiming back the overpayments.

There will be no problem with anyone "regularising" their circumstances even after Brexit, most will have already done so, others will do so if they encounter problems regarding length of stay and returning within 6 months, the only ones sweating will be those en cavale and who will no longer have passports after a maximum of 10 years, they would never have been returning anyway so they will probably just carry on as they always have done. I have been surprised over the years to learn just how many can't return to the UK (or other countries) after I have gained their confidence.
Mr Big, they better hope no one reports this post to the a French procurator or you will be too busy to post for weeks giving over your list of names. ;)
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

User avatar
mysty
Posts: 13725
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:38 pm
Location: dep18 and 23
Has thanked: 1095 times
Been thanked: 1852 times

Re: Living under the radar in Europe

Post by mysty »

Ally wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:24 pm
why me? wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:17 pm
Ally wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:05 pm
Yes. You are correct. The Sorn was a temporary measure during the lockdown. I wasn't up for paying road tax on a car stranded in a friend's garden in France. Thanks for reminding me.
As a matter of interest, doesn't any vehicle in France legally have to have some form of insurance if it's capable of being driven or does this not apply to those which are UK registered & insured?
I don't know if that's the case. I was in a situation where I couldn't do anything about it. The UK insurance was void when I was absent and when I was absent I couldn't buy new French insurance. If it is true, it looks like I dodged a bullet. And I suppose it could only be driven if taken without consent.
My UK insurance was through Saga. The news that my insurance was void in my absence was a shock. That must happen hundreds or even thousands of times to second home owners when they take short trips back by air to Fraggle Rock during extended stays in France.
:P have either of your accounts been hacked :lol:
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Le Démerdeur
Posts: 11695
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:22 pm
Location: Picardie and occasionally Sussex
Has thanked: 2102 times
Been thanked: 1627 times

Re: Living under the radar in Europe

Post by Le Démerdeur »

mysty wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:44 pm
Mr Big, they better hope no one reports this post to the a French procurator or you will be too busy to post for weeks giving over your list of names. ;)
Procurator?

I'm not due to see him for another 4 years and the procedure is less than an hour with an overnight stay in the clinique, I know that he uses a camera but it must go further than I thought to read my mind :lol:

Le Démerdeur
Posts: 11695
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:22 pm
Location: Picardie and occasionally Sussex
Has thanked: 2102 times
Been thanked: 1627 times

Re: Living under the radar in Europe

Post by Le Démerdeur »

My apologies, it is a word in English but not one that I had ever heard of :oops:

Post Reply