Strange caterpillars

A place for some light-hearted chat.
manonthemoon

Re: Strange caterpillars

Post by manonthemoon »

Good for him Catrose. We often find till mistakes but can't be bothered with a few centimes.

Once we were charged 69 euros for 1 packet of green beans. Obviously it went through multiple times, but it happens often so I now also check till receipt before we leave, lidl seems the biggest culprit.

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

Catrose wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:21 pm
Gardengirl wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:29 pm

I hope you returned the offending packet if you could remember where you bought it and live close enough to bother. Plenty of other poor souls will be buying similar packets from that shop and throwing them out when the nasties are found - the producers are on to a good thing, or maybe it’s poor stock rotation by the shop.
My husband’s is manic for consumer rights...I think our local supermarket probably use his photo for a darts board. He checks the till receipt before we leave and 5 times out of 10 there is a mistake, he returns corked wine, marches up to the info desk if he finds things past their sell by date, he writes letters to the manager about fake “promos”. Admittedly most mistakes are a few centimes, but he reckons that if every customer overpays by a centime then that a pretty good extra for the shop. But hey ho, it’s good to have a hobby!
Where do you live, Catrose, UK or France, or elsewhere? Easy enough to stand on your rights in your 1st language, but unless you are really fluent, not so easy otherwise.

I once bought a bulb which didn't work, took it back to Auchan for a swap but the man took out a high powered microscope, well magnifying glass, to read some small print that I couldn't even see was there, and finally said I had to complain to the manufacturer, Osram, in Belgium. This I did, very grudgingly because I was sure he was wrong, and I eventually, after several emails back and forth (including a personal letter to the MD) got a replacement and a little gift. Took about 3 months. I would have stood my ground, literally, in England though, and then some.

I have had similar results with RBS and O2 in past years too. But all in the only language I love and am good at.

Stompie

Post by Stompie »

The only times I've had to return things in France I've been pleasantly surprised by the customer service. First was a pair of wellies that split after a couple of months. There was an instant offer of a replacement and when that wasn't possible (none in the right size) a credit note to their value issued. The second was a faulty drill, took it back, told them it was smoking. They checked it, smoked out the shop, and ran to get a replacement! A refund was also offered but we just needed a drill.
The other day we went looking for a new charger for that drill, now four years old, and they couldn't have been more helpful looking for a replacement despite that design now being obselete. A big thumbs up for Mr Bricolage.

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

Stompie wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:23 am
The only times I've had to return things in France I've been pleasantly surprised by the customer service. First was a pair of wellies that split after a couple of months. There was an instant offer of a replacement and when that wasn't possible (none in the right size) a credit note to their value issued. The second was a faulty drill, took it back, told them it was smoking. They checked it, smoked out the shop, and ran to get a replacement! A refund was also offered but we just needed a drill.
The other day we went looking for a new charger for that drill, now four years old, and they couldn't have been more helpful looking for a replacement despite that design now being obselete. A big thumbs up for Mr Bricolage.
I should say in defence of the Auchan I mentioned, that when I erroneously bought sardines for the dogs containing highly unsuitable pimentos, even though the mistake was noticed after I had cashed out, the cashier said if I wanted to come back with the ticket later they would exchange them. I didn't bother because I washed them instead, but maybe a more enlightened policy exists now. When I went back yesterday, one week later, that cashier asked me how the dogs had liked the pimentos. She laughed when I explained what I had done. :)

Catrose

Post by Catrose »

Spardo wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:51 am

Where do you live, Catrose, UK or France, or elsewhere? Easy enough to stand on your rights in your 1st language, but unless you are really fluent, not so easy otherwise.
In France....strangely he never used to complain in the UK bit would insist I did it!

TriciaF

Post by TriciaF »

Going against the flow of opinion here - it didn't bother me so much. How was it the fault of the shop that months ago some moth got to the grain etc plant before the fruit was formed? Then harvested and packed.
Or got into the food via your kitchen?
I used to empty the infected packets out, wash the contents and use asap.

Loiseau

Post by Loiseau »

Washing my infested flour wouldn’t have been very helpful! 😂😂

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

PatF wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:30 pm
Going against the flow of opinion here - it didn't bother me so much. How was it the fault of the shop that months ago some moth got to the grain etc plant before the fruit was formed? Then harvested and packed.
Or got into the food via your kitchen?
I used to empty the infected packets out, wash the contents and use asap.
I'm not sure 'fault' is the point Pat, I think, but stand to be corrected :roll: , that under EU regs the seller is the one who has to make restitution, be it refund or replacement, and up to him/her/them to make their own claim on their supplier. Which may of course not be the manufacturer, but a wholesaler.