'Hovering'

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
Biggles

'Hovering'

Post by Biggles »

I have often seen on this forum references to 'hovering' the mouse over a link to see exactly what the link is. This doesn't happen on our machine, is it a function of the browser which we can switch on? Your expert knowledge will be much appreciated. :good:
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." — Mark Twain

niemeyjt

Re: 'Hovering'

Post by niemeyjt »

It depends on how you are viewing the link.

If the link is clickable then hovering over it will show it up:

www.microsoft.com

If the link is just plain text then it won't show up when you hover a mouse over it:

www.microsoft.com

And sometimes the link is different from what is displayed:

www.microsoft.com

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

These two screens show what happens when I hover over the two clickable links:
b1.png
b2.png

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

niemeyjt wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:37 am
These two screens show what happens when I hover over the two clickable links:
Thank you, I think. :? ;)

From memory I don't think it works, much the same as Biggles says, but maybe I am just missing it, will try again when the opportunity arises. :)

Why wait, just tried it on my own links below, :roll: , and it works. Was just looking in the wrong place.

Can't wait to get hovering. :lol:

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

Try on my first post - the first and third should be clickable.

The second isn't - because when I posted I checked the option "Do not automatically parse URLs" which is not normally ticked:
b3.png
b3.png (7.14 KiB) Viewed 148 times

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

niemeyjt wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:03 pm
Try on my first post - the first and third should be clickable.

The second isn't - because when I posted I checked the option "Do not automatically parse URLs" which is not normally ticked:

So am I right in thinking that this is the way to see a scam link, and if a link is not clickable it has been disguised? Or am I on the wrong track entirely?

suein56

Post by suein56 »

Spardo wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:11 pm
So am I right in thinking that this is the way to see a scam link, and if a link is not clickable it has been disguised? Or am I on the wrong track entirely?
Yes and No .. the scammers always use a live link .. after all they want you to click on it to take you where they want you to go.
Hovering means you can usually see the hidden url behind what they have written.

Nimmy wrote : www.microsoft.com and that's what you saw, but hovering over it showed you that in reality you were being redirected to : www.ubuntu.com
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

Spardo wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:11 pm
If it is not clickable (e.g. my second example) it is not a link per se - so safe.

The third example is the scam link - when you hover over you see a different name (www.ubuntu.com) to that presented in the message (www.microsoft.com) whereas on the first example it is the same.

Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Thank you for your immediate response, niemeyjt. Very interesting! Hovering over the links you posted does indeed show the URL as you describe, in the bottom LH corner of the screen. However, hovering over the link in the dodgy e-mail I received this morning does not display. The link looks very impressive - https://tinyurl.com/y8pyvwc - and because I was suspicious, I typed the URL into my browser and, surprise, surprise, it doesn't exist! So is the scammer creating the e-mail able to prevent the actual link hidden behind the visible link from displaying, or doesn't the Hover function work on links in e-mails?
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." — Mark Twain

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

Can one hover with a touch screen or touch keypad ?