Internet radio conundrum.

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
Fitter

Internet radio conundrum.

Post by Fitter »

I want an internet radio in the workshop which is in the barn which is about 15 metres form the house.

The barn and workshop single-phase electrics are on the same phase as the house.

We have a Roberts 83i internet radio in the kitchen which picks up wifi from an Orange mains extender plugged into a socket outlet - unplug extender from the wall socket and the radio stops.

The extender is the usual Orange kit where there is an ethernet cable from the router to one of the extenders which injects the wifi signal into the mains wiring which the other extenders pick up on and retransmit the wifi.

Test - take radio and extender into workshop, plug both in, radio works, unplug extender and the radio still works!

It looks like that either the radio is picking up the wifi signal from the extenders in the house through the thick stone walls or it's being radiated from the mains wiring in the workshop - is this possible?

The wiring path would be house wiring>tableau>cable to power pole across road>triphase cable back across road to barn tableau>single phase to workshop tableau>workshop socket wiring all round workshop on three sides in osb/stud walls, 25 to 35 metres long probably.
“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” ― Mark Twain

Simonflys

Re: Internet radio conundrum.

Post by Simonflys »

1. Just use the TuneIn radio app (or any other of your choice) on your mobile and link to Bluetooth speakers wherever you want them.
OR
2. Use your mobile as a WiFi hotspot and connect to your existing Roberts radio.

Life's too short!! 😜😜😜

elsie

Post by elsie »

If you have a mobile phone you can install a wi-fi network scanner/signal strength analyser to see what is going on.

I have Netgear WiFi Analytics https://tinyurl.com/y9xajm6u and WiFiAnalyzer (open source) https://tinyurl.com/ybo7ocwh on my Android phone (both are shortened https://play.google.com links)

landmannnn

Post by landmannnn »

Fitter wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:11 pm
I want an internet radio in the workshop which is in the barn which is about 15 metres form the house.

The barn and workshop single-phase electrics are on the same phase as the house.

We have a Roberts 83i internet radio in the kitchen which picks up wifi from an Orange mains extender plugged into a socket outlet - unplug extender from the wall socket and the radio stops.

The extender is the usual Orange kit where there is an ethernet cable from the router to one of the extenders which injects the wifi signal into the mains wiring which the other extenders pick up on and retransmit the wifi.

Test - take radio and extender into workshop, plug both in, radio works, unplug extender and the radio still works!

It looks like that either the radio is picking up the wifi signal from the extenders in the house through the thick stone walls or it's being radiated from the mains wiring in the workshop - is this possible?

The wiring path would be house wiring>tableau>cable to power pole across road>triphase cable back across road to barn tableau>single phase to workshop tableau>workshop socket wiring all round workshop on three sides in osb/stud walls, 25 to 35 metres long probably.
It isn't possible for the mains cables to radiate WiFi, it sounds like done of your other WiFi is making its way to your workshop. It does get absorbed by stone but bounces off metal which might explain it.

Polarengineer

Post by Polarengineer »

Your description of the wiring sounds odd. How does the triphase part fit in? Are you getting a phase to your workshop that has no meter? Do you have triphase supply and meter whereby one phase is to your house and another phase to your workshop? If you have triphase you must get your internet signal into all phases. I have a similar setup and for about €30 you can get a phase coupler that connects the internet signal to all phases it fits in your tableau on the standard DIN rail
Attachments
IMG_0505.JPG
Absolute-ly..I have become comfortably numb (with ice it's nice)

Fitter

Post by Fitter »

Noooo! Read it again!

The wiring path would be house wiring>tableau>cable to power pole across road (single phase supply to house from pole)

Separate triphase cable from pole back across road to barn triphase meter and tableau>single phase to workshop tableau>workshop socket wiring all round workshop on three sides in osb/stud walls, 25 to 35 metres long probably.

The workshop inside the barn, which is wired single phase is supplied from the barn triphase ( one phase and neutral @ 230 volt) and happens to be on the same phase as the house. I can choose any phase, just a matter of connection at the disconjucteur.

I don't have or need any 3 phase machines at the moment but I am hanging on to it as it was there when we bought the house.
“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” ― Mark Twain

Polarengineer

Post by Polarengineer »

In that case, you have had it.
Your signal will not transmit over the triphase meter back into the phase line Number You are using for the barn. If your house is supplied from this same meter, then it is on another of the 3 phases, or somehow there is a separation whereby the signal is not connected to the barn line. I can only imagine the meter leading one phase two ways and there is no connection to transmit the internet signal.
You have to start at the meter. Your description of the wiring would indicate that you have a phase supply free with no meter, but I'm sure your house wiring will double back from the triphase meter in the barn.
Absolute-ly..I have become comfortably numb (with ice it's nice)

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I used to believe that but successfully used Dlan adaptors to bring internet from my neighbours ADSL into my property next door and from that through a sub meter to my chalet, thus it was travelling upstream through his meter and downstream through mine and my secondary one.

For 30 + years I had thought we were on seperate phases and that they repeated every 3 houses but in fact each pair of semi-detached houses are on the same phase which makes sense for safety reasons.

Fitter

Post by Fitter »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:03 pm
I used to believe that but successfully used Dlan adaptors to bring internet from my neighbours ADSL into my property next door and from that through a sub meter to my chalet, thus it was travelling upstream through his meter and downstream through mine and my secondary one.

For 30 + years I had thought we were on seperate phases and that they repeated every 3 houses but in fact each pair of semi-detached houses are on the same phase which makes sense for safety reasons.
Exactly what i was taught in industry many years ago - no adjacent rooms or workshops should be on different phases to avoid the likelihood of a 400 volt fatal shock.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Without any of the formal learning and before I found that I shared the phase with my neighbour I had already planned my apartments here to have each pair on each level on the same phase, they are seperated by the stairwell but share a common insulated party wall between the lounges so its possible that someone could tap into the wrong gaine, in fact its a double cloison so very unlikely.

6 appartements on 3 levels made the connections to the collonne collectif very inutuitive but its good to have validation that I did the right thing.