UK Passport Renewal

A place for some light-hearted chat.
niemeyjt

UK Passport Renewal

Post by niemeyjt »

Words of warning from MoneySavingExpert - UK passports are taking up to 13 weeks to get renewed.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/latesttip/?anchor=eon - no 10

10) Passport at or nearing expiry? Renew ASAP. The Passport Office is warning, understandably, that renewing is taking longer than the usual 3wks. We're hearing reports that at the extreme, some are taking 3mths or more, while fast-track services and face-to-face appointments are suspended.

Bald Eagle

Re: UK Passport Renewal

Post by Bald Eagle »

Anne and mine run out in 2023. Won't be used before then or renewed.
“Never argue with a know-it-all. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Monsieur3seas

Post by Monsieur3seas »

cant go anywhere anyway!

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

I was thinking since I have no intention of visiting UK again that the issue wouldn't affect me, but does it? Are we allowed to remain here without a valid passport?
Visit historic Barnard Castle. Lockdown day trips now available.

elsie

Post by elsie »

You will probably need a valid passport for a titre de séjour application and possibly each time you renew it (on card expiry or if you change address). There is no reference on my current 10-year card to my passport number but I don't know if anything is encoded in the chip?

I don't know whether you will need a passport to travel to other countries in Europe once the new cards are issued? The new cards will no longer be EU resident cards and other countries regulations on accepting the French-issued card may not be the same.

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

elsie wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:30 am
You will probably need a valid passport for a titre de séjour application and possibly each time you renew it (on card expiry or if you change address). There is no reference on my current 10-year card to my passport number but I don't know if anything is encoded in the chip?

I don't know whether you will need a passport to travel to other countries in Europe once the new cards are issued? The new cards will no longer be EU resident cards and other countries regulations on accepting the French-issued card may not be the same.
I think the answer to that is not only yes, but always has been, I was told quite firmly by the Paris embassy years ago that because the UK wasn't in Schengen, the advantages of it didn't apply to us..

JohnnyD

Post by JohnnyD »

I renewed mine in 2019 even though it had 2 years left, they were still EU style and I wanted that, I know it has no legal bearing, but it makes me feel better :D

JD

elsie

Post by elsie »

Spardo wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:13 pm
elsie wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:30 am

I think the answer to that is not only yes, but always has been, I was told quite firmly by the Paris embassy years ago that because the UK wasn't in Schengen, the advantages of it didn't apply to us..
And I've had several multi-week holidays in Europe, staying in different hotels each night or two, and only ever showing my French titre de séjour as proof of identity. I admit I had my passport as well on those trips but the card was always accepted in hotels, etc. Had I been stopped at a border, by the police, etc., it might have been different.

Oldblueraincoat

Post by Oldblueraincoat »

My passport expires in October - l have gone online to the Gov.UK site and began the process for renewal. After answering a number of questions the site identified me as a standard renewal and this appeared:

Passport applications and coronavirus (COVID-19)

Warning Normal service standards are currently suspended. We cannot confirm when a passport will be received, or when documents provided in support of an application will be returned.
Do you want to apply for a passport now?

No, I can apply later
Yes, I want to apply now

Please consider coming back at a later date to apply. This will help us support those with urgent applications, who need our help the most.

Therefore l will try again this time next month.

JohnnyD

Post by JohnnyD »

It wouldn’t surprise me if the only reason was they has messed up ordering enough of the new blanks, I read somewhere that they couldn’t be made in the UK anymore and were actually being manufactured in France :lol:

JD