Arranging an appointment at an Orange shop.

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
CRAZY DIAMOND

Arranging an appointment at an Orange shop.

Post by CRAZY DIAMOND »

Let me tell you a story. I am not a mobile phone type of person. I had one and it was unbelievably basic, something which embarrassed my children no end. Like me it wasn't smart, I paid washers for it, bought it mainly for emergencies and it would only receive and make calls and texts which suited me just fine. I hardly ever used it, but usually when I did this was in England, in those long ago days when it was possible to easily pop over, which we did about four times a year to see our next of kin. Because of this the phone had a UK Vodaphone sim card.
The phone packed up at a very inconvenient time which meant I was forced to buy a replacement at Super U. All the cheap and cheerful phones on offer wouldn't take my large sim card which of course held all my numbers and had a substantial credit balance. Until then I didn't realise there are different size sim cards. The cheapest phone into which I could fit my sim was a Crosscall at around €90. Hobson's choice, so I bought it, fitted my sim and it's been fine. This apparently bullet and waterproof bit of kit will take two sim cards and I thought it would make sense to also have a French one, so I decided to get an Orange sim from their nearest shop.
Unfortunately it's no longer possible to walk in to an Orange shop, you have to make an online appointment. Logged on, entered all the requested info and when I got to the mandatory field requiring a mobile number, entered my UK one. This was rejected, so I couldn't complete the form and book a RDV. Undeterred I phoned the France Telecom/Orange English speaking helpline where, after I explained, a helpful lady did all the necessary and arranged my appointment. Shortly afterwards I received an email confirming my appointment. In order to be seen I have to take a valid piece of ID, my bank RIB and a recent utility bill to prove where I live. Stone me, I only want to buy a bloody sim card!
Syd.
There is a sufficiency in the world for man’s need, but not for man’s greed.
Mahatma Gandhi.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Re: Arranging an appointment at an Orange shop.

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Standard procedure, to protect Orange from criminally-minded people. Do you have a problem with providing what they ask for? Are you already an Orange client with internet? If so, you can order a new SIM card from your online Espace client.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

CRAZY DIAMOND

Post by CRAZY DIAMOND »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:18 pm
Standard procedure, to protect Orange from criminally-minded people. Do you have a problem with providing what they ask for? Are you already an Orange client with internet? If so, you can order a new SIM card from your online Espace client.
Oh come on, I'm talking about buying a sim card from a phone shop, not going into a Hatton Garden diamond merchant's to purchase a gemstone. I made no mention of there being a problem in providing what they require because it isn't and yes, I am already an Orange customer. I don't want to go online, I want to go into a shop so I can talk to an actual person who can spell out the available options and provide me a sim card which I know will fit my phone.
Last Saturday I went to a jewellers and had to be buzzed in which I can understand. This took seconds and didn't involve two pieces of ID and a bank RIB, despite the place being more of a target for "criminally-minded people".
By any stretch of the imagination Orange's requirement for an appointment to merely speak to a salesperson are way OTT.
Syd.
Mahatma Gandhi.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

There are masques available at the Mairie, "vous devez vous munir d'une pièce d'identité et d'un justificatif de domicile" to collect one yet if you are over 65 they will deliver one to your boîte à lettres.

Why the need for securité for one and not the other?

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:15 am
There are masques available at the Mairie, "vous devez vous munir d'une pièce d'identité et d'un justificatif de domicile" to collect one yet if you are over 65 they will deliver one to your boîte à lettres.

Why the need for securité for one and not the other?
Perhaps to encourage the wrinklies to stay at home?

rabbit

Post by rabbit »

The ID requirement are there because of criminality. Burner phones are used by drug dealers and criminals and phones/SIMs can be bought and used illegally for cloning IDs and stealing from people's bank accounts.

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

rabbit wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:34 am
The ID requirement are there because of criminality. Burner phones are used by drug dealers and criminals and phones/SIMs can be bought and used illegally for cloning IDs and stealing from people's bank accounts.
Really? When picking up a mask at the Mairie. :?: :o

CRAZY DIAMOND

Post by CRAZY DIAMOND »

rabbit wrote:
The blind faith you and FFS seem to have in French procedures is touching, but can be misplaced. I could easily have obtained a sim card online giving fictitious ID details, or simply walked into Hyper U and bought one, so I don't accept the needless palaver Orange insist on to make an appointment will achieve anything to prevent criminality. The bad guys don't follow such rules, they tell fibs and carry false ID.
Syd.
Mahatma Gandhi.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Its everywhere at present, many companies, or perhaps its the employees/syndicates are taking the opportunity to avoid al contact with the great unwashed & instead (not) working from home.

I am in pretty dire straits on a few fronts, things which could and should have been easily sorted 3 months ago with a face to face meeting with the CAF, Les Impôts & l'Assurance maladie, the shutters are still firmy down on all 3 locaux, impossible to make a RDV by phone or internet & they have all worked out how to ask you for an irrelevant piece of info that they already have by secure whilst marking the subject "terminé" so that it is impossible to even reply.

The état d'urgence sanitaire is going to be completely lifted in 3 weeks time and they will have no choice but to raise the shutters but I guarantee you will no longer be able to see someone in person.

I even had to see the Deputé of the region at his permanence sociale (he was still seeing people) but he could do no more than sympathise and give me another number to call that does not get answered.

Someone else in the same position who did not have reserves to fall back on would have starved to death by now.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Crazy Diamond wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:26 pm
rabbit wrote:
The blind faith you and FFS seem to have in French procedures is touching, but can be misplaced.
It's not blind faith, it's an acceptance of the way things are done here and the reasons behind it.
Crazy Diamond wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:26 pm
I could easily have obtained a sim card online giving fictitious ID details, or simply walked into Hyper U and bought one
So why didn't you? Walk into Hyper U and buy one, I mean.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen