A place for some light-hearted chat.
Nifty

Re: Gone With The Wind

Post by Nifty »

Nifty wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:32 am
How is It connected to King Kong ?
Rephrase question
How is Gone With The Wind connected to King Kong ?
+
What does BLM mean?

wilbro

Post by wilbro »

After the Storm wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:58 am
While there might be the odd PC thing going on that's odd, most of what I see is being done for the right reasons.

It's a shame that there are idiots doing crass things like this below, I find them more objectionable Btw no idea about Burnley football club other than now knowing they have a good CE. If those kind of people weren't so dumb maybe the stuff others think is just PC gone mad wouldn't be needed.

https://news.sky.com/story/burnley-iden ... s-12013550
I'm really puzzled by the furore over Burnley. If the banner had said Black Lives Matter that would have been welcomed no doubt. It's really gone stupid now.

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

If you want to understand why it was a dumb thing to do, just google, there are plenty of articles explaining why when similar crass things have been done previously or look at the article I linked to and what the club said themselves.
It is a crass infantile tactic of right wing loonies to attempt to divert the focus from BLM. Pour little guys must be feeling threatened to throw their money away like that. And my use of the word guys is inclusive of both sexes who are right wing loonies btw.

timbo

Post by timbo »

Nifty wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:41 am
Nifty wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:32 am
How is It connected to King Kong ?
Rephrase question
How is Gone With The Wind connected to King Kong ?
+
What does BLM mean?
The King Kong set and a few other redundant sets were set on fire to film the opening scene (burning of Atlanta)

BLM, Black Lives Matter

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

There is also a border line Nazi group in America called ‘White Lives Matter ‘
To put it in some context Burnley has a high BAME population, mostly Asian (it has seen race riots in the past ) to fly that could stir up a lot of old grievances and tensions ,they are also a town that really get behind their football team. When the Clarets were at Wembley a large proportion of the population were there. It becomes a much bigger problem than someone hiring a plane

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

wilbro wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:05 am
After the Storm wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:58 am
While there might be the odd PC thing going on that's odd, most of what I see is being done for the right reasons.

It's a shame that there are idiots doing crass things like this below, I find them more objectionable Btw no idea about Burnley football club other than now knowing they have a good CE. If those kind of people weren't so dumb maybe the stuff others think is just PC gone mad wouldn't be needed.

https://news.sky.com/story/burnley-iden ... s-12013550
I'm really puzzled by the furore over Burnley. If the banner had said Black Lives Matter that would have been welcomed no doubt. It's really gone stupid now.
My first thoughts too Wilbro, but then I watched the black Sky presenter say that 'of course white lives matter', and decided against commenting. It is all about that word 'context' again, the banner was displayed as a direct confrontation to the BLM movement, and not as a statement of belief (everybody knows the bald statement to be true). But I do believe that a backlash is inevitable because the initial protests against the awful event in Minnesota, and others, while justified in themselves, have reached much further (statue vandalism etc) and have antagonised people who otherwise would support it.

Many people who were horrified about Mr. Floyd's death, now feel threatened by the growing swell of apparent attempts to blank out the whole of history, both good and bad.

TriciaF

Post by TriciaF »

Does anyone remember seeing the TV series Roots? 1977.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roots_(1977_miniseries)
We watched it but I found it so upsetting I couldn't watch the later episodes.
No wonder there are still deep wounds that will probably never heal.

tim17

Post by tim17 »

PatF wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:18 pm
Does anyone remember seeing the TV series Roots? 1977.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roots_(1977_miniseries)
We watched it but I found it so upsetting I couldn't watch the later episodes.
No wonder there are still deep wounds that will probably never heal.
I think series like Roots and films such as Twelve Years a Slave should be part of the school curriculum.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

In the days before 3 innocent people were killed in a park and many others injured, the Police were very quick to categorise it as a terrorist attack which struck me as strange because usually they do all that they can to refute the suggestion until there is clear and incontrovertible evidence.

Given the current tinderbox climate and the worldwide protests had they issued their usual "there is nothing to suggest that this was a terrorist or racially motivated attack" the results would have been more than a banner using the slogan accepted without question across the world.

Timoth

Post by Timoth »

To broaden the debate slightly, at what point do we say that something happened in the past in our History, some of it was bad but it is now time to move on, or are we going to have constant hunting for racism (real or perceived) which might eventually be used as a lever to obtain group privilege?
Last edited by Timoth on Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.