Gone With The Wind

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Spardo

Gone With The Wind

Post by Spardo »

Rather annoyed at the extreme PC we are experiencing lately, I saw an opportunity of downloading the original of Margaret Mitchell's classic. I have seen the film, many years ago, probably more than once, but realised that I had never actually read the book.

So, at £2.38, how could I resist. My next read. :D

I normally have a book in hand on the Kindle, but as this stems from my overnights on the road, less important now for the purposes of avoiding being stranded without a read.

But I got an email from Amazon this morning with a recommendation. I usually ignore these as I prefer to peruse at my pleasure but this one I could hardly dismiss. 'The Crew' by David Price, is an account of the lives of a Lancaster Bomber crew written largely after interviews with the last surviving member. Looks like an interesting read and again, how could I resist, at £0.99 ? :lol:

Spardo

Re: Gone With The Wind

Post by Spardo »

Half a dozen chapters into Gone with the Wind and I am really enjoying it. I can understand though that, if the film is anything like as explicit in its language as the book, why certain people would want to ban it. But I don't see a justification.

The language used and the depictions of the way negroes spoke are shocking to a modern eye/ear, but I get the impression that they come from a desire to tell the story as it was rather than approve of the mores of the time. Perhaps the author accepted things as they were.

Interesting though is the attitude of the slaves in the book, they seemed to have their own hierarchy which wasn't confined to race. The slaves of wealthy and prominent owners looked down upon lower class white farmers and their slaves, even on the farmers who had no slaves. If modern white people should feel shame at their white forbears' opinions and actions, does it not follow that modern black people should feel a similar shame? A talking point if nothing else, but one with which I doubt many would agree.

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle »

Gibson, head of the British mission that destroyed German dams in World War II, had a dog called Nigger, who featured in the 1951 book The Dam Busters and was mentioned 12 times in the 1954 film of the same name.
Unfortunately when a new film was going to be made about the raid the dog was going to be renamed. Don't think the film was ever made though.
“Never argue with a know-it-all. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

How is It connected to King Kong ?

chaletcat

Post by chaletcat »

The dogs name was changed to digger at some point but I think it was then changed back to nigger
It was also used as a code word for breaching one of the dams It was thought at a later date that it might cause offence and it was changed to digger
The photo that I have of the dogs statue has nigger under it

tim17

Post by tim17 »

For me it's all about context. I watched a 2001 Oscar winning film on NetFlix recently where the word 'nigger' was used many times by a black actor but it fitted in perfectly with the script, similarly it's pointless that the Dam Busters is edited when everyone knows the real name of Guy Gibson's dog, all that is needed is a warning at the start of the film that certain words/phrases might cause offence.

Plog

Post by Plog »

Bald Eagle wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:04 pm
Unfortunately when a new film was going to be made about the raid the dog was going to be renamed. Don't think the film was ever made though.
That'll no doubt be Sir Peter Jackson's (director of Lord of the Rings, etc ) project...been "ongoing" for at least a decade..

https://dambustersblog.com/category/peter-jackson/

https://theunheardnerd.com/what-could-h ... ambusters/

Lat time I saw the original on UK TV the dogs original name was used, health warning issued at the start of the programme.

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

I understand the negative and deeply distasteful connotations of the word, but as others have said, it is all about context. It is sprinkled liberally in Mitchell's book, the vast majority of the time used by the slaves themselves.

I believe its origins lie in the way Southerners in the USA pronounce the word negro. Nigra seems to be it and that morphed into nigger, but, context is eveything. In the context of this book it is necessary to be used, unlike so many modern films which are far more liberal and unnecessarily so with fuck. But of course that is non racially specific so acceptable, I suppose. :|

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

While there might be the odd PC thing going on that's odd, most of what I see is being done for the right reasons.

It's a shame that there are idiots doing crass things like this below, I find them more objectionable Btw no idea about Burnley football club other than now knowing they have a good CE. If those kind of people weren't so dumb maybe the stuff others think is just PC gone mad wouldn't be needed.

https://news.sky.com/story/burnley-iden ... s-12013550

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I think anyone who saw the ‘football lads’ in London the other week fighting the police when there were no BLM around to fight will agree that there is a potential issue with right wing infiltration in the game
I feel very sorry for the club and the police in this. The police said they will investigate , they have got an earful “Nothing to investigate “ “ Investigate the players with BLM on their shirts then “. If they had said they weren’t going to investigate then it would have been “why are you ignoring obvious racism “.The club said that they didn’t approve and were unhappy,there were several calls for white fans to boycott the side as the club “ obviously doesn’t care about its white supporters”. The guy who organised the stunt has refused to apologise and the company he hired the plane from say they won’t do banner flights any more