Friendships

A place for some light-hearted chat.
After the Storm

Friendships

Post by After the Storm »

:P Thought this could be an interesting topic (or not) “Friendships”. Do you have any? Only kidding :) ...Are they only people you have met in RL or do you have cyberfriends? To play some games, you have to sometimes have two or more “friends” (and I am not talking about those kind of games Mysty :P but the kind of cyber games where you go and save the world kind of games! Just thought I’d say that before you did :P ) so the definition I reckon has changed but not the sentiment.

Hal

Re: Friendships

Post by Hal »

Are you now ATS again... :? I can't keep up...

The game is already there - called Tinder.. ;)

After the Storm

It could change again Hal depending on his soh :lol: ....and what someone else might decide to email.

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur »

If it's just a matter of being on the same forum, then all you know of people is their opinions on certain matters, and a little of the character they choose to adopt (or the character they can't help displaying). I wouldn't want to say that is any more a friendship than on facebook, say: they're equally artificial.

As for online games - no. I get vertigo playing that sort of thing.

Maybe friendship (on a forum like this, anyway) is more a matter of cutting your "friends" more slack than your "foes"?
Same old nonsense.

After the Storm

Mmmmmh, I don’t see it as much different as in real life if you are going to talk about someone not just being themselves and I don’t believe in friends or foes on a forum (just my opinion if I’m allowed to have one), I find that a silly option on a forum for adults but can see the advantage maybe on one for children. On forums, just in RL, (stating the obvious here) there are just some people you click with perhaps, be it sharing for example, a sense of humour, same interests or attitude. I don’t get why anyone would not be interested in talking or listening to whatever or whoever and interact, I’ve said it before and I think exile said the same elsewhere, one day you’ll agree on something and the next you might not, no different from RL.
Can’t comment about Facebook, never used it but from what I’ve been told, people don’t chat on that in the same way as you can on a forum.
However, it’s been interesting reading the few opinions here and elsewhere and makes think I may have to change my mind and reassess my opinion of this place. I think someone wrote once that the pleasantries and politeness etc were wrong, I can understand what he was getting at now.

Edit I thought it said friendly somewhere on here at the top but I’ve just looked and I was either hallucinating or it disappeared :)

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur »

I agree about the friends and foes idea being inappropriate - do you know anyone who could get rid of it? :lol: Someone implied it creates an atmosphere you might not intend to create.

I think sometimes it's easy to look at the username before the content of the post, definitely. What I enjoy is finding someone is more complex - well,m has more complex views, I think - than I'd previously realised.

But "I think someone wrote once that the pleasantries and politeness etc were wrong, I can understand what he was getting at now."? Care to expand?
Same old nonsense.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I have made friendships I consider real on forums, and I have met some people in real life (not just from French forums either) I won’t ‘Foe ‘ anyone as said we are adults and I am too nosey anyway

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

Maybe puerile, but, what about these Fokkers ?

After the Storm

Wasn't me that wrote it Flaneur but I think it was on the lines of no one has friends on forums so language used that one would use towards friends was therefore false and misguided and following their logic, the whole community section of the forum should be removed as there is no community, certainly no community spirit, it's just a place to maybe be used for asking or answering questions, no chat or conversations. If I remember rightly they weren't the only ones to think that.

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur »

I see. Perhaps the friendship resembles old-fashioned pen-friendship?

Well, I think there's clearly a community here. I picture it as a bar, with you and mysty at the bar, keeping the conversation going with your questions and topics, and most of us with our own particular personality.
Same old nonsense.