This is the kind of crap we got from members who tried to poison the forum

A place for some light-hearted chat.
mysty

Re: This is the kind of crap we got from members who tried to poison the forum

Post by mysty »

We do not have any fighting on this forum and cannot think of anytime in the last two years anyone ever disagreed on here.
On saying that someone had a pop at bald eagle recently.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

manonthemoon

Post by manonthemoon »

Bald Eagle wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:54 pm
Had plenty of crap thrown at me over the years. Usually the same 4 who have themselves changed their names yet play hell with me when I've changed mine. For some obscure reason I was thrown off another French forum recently but had already had this place recommended by another member who thought I was being targeted yet again.

To show you their mentality look at the following:-
From my profile
Joined Fri Feb28, 2020 11.09am

From the other site a thread was started just about me
He's turned up elsewhere

“You know who” has started posting on the newfrenchforum to stir things up there.
Dated 28th February 2020 at 6.21pm
So just over 7 hours after joining here I was a Forum thread on the other site. :D

However, their gunpowder was dampened because I joined using my first ever name from some 15 years ago and 5 forums. This took away their ability to spread innuendoes about who I "really" was.
To be honest I think I've done quite well on here not being targeted and enjoy the banter.
Hello B E. I think you and I go back to forums way back to maybe 2005? GOGIF being one which developed after Go Brittany? I am still in contact with the lady who developed GB, I won't give away her name as a few people on here may know that forum too.

In my years in France which is soon to be 17, I've joined many forums as the advice and banter is usually good.

But, why do members have to disrespect other members? Each and everyone of us has an opinion, if others don't agree why not place a comment such as "disagree " and leave it at that. No need to get into a spat.

We are all a long time dead, so peace members please

Timoth

Post by Timoth »

Much unpleasant posting is caused by bored expats knocking back the cheap plonk.

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

manonthemoon wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:14 pm

But, why do members have to disrespect other members? Each and everyone of us has an opinion, if others don't agree why not place a comment such as "disagree " and leave it at that. No need to get into a spat.
A nice thought, but if that was the case there would be no discussion and no forum. To just 'disagree' as you suggest without expressing the counter opinion is a worthless comment and might have the opposite effect to that you desire by encouraging a response of 'why, so what is your solution?' Perhaps with aggression.

We have already seen in recent days here that the 'thank' button has been used, or suspected to have been used in an aggressive way. I don't agree that it has, but it has been perceived as such by some.

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

No place for “aggression” in any debate and if someone uses aggression they haven’t won any argument, just more likely being a bully (which won’t be tolerated), also other people won’t debate but just leave the thread. Different opinions on topics are usually interesting to read and talking is good when it stays friendly.

Re the “thanks”, I said that was my decision. In the past, we have seen it used, even by people who never posted, whenever something came heated and they would always “like” the same people who ever was saying something against the forum or the people in it, so it has always been a feature that can be misused, it wouldn’t matter what the content if a post was they just like whoever their ‘friend’ was each time, it’s easy to spot. After disabling the option, I brought it back because plenty people wanted it back (already had a thread about that so sorry if I am repeating myself) because regulars that post on here said why and the reasons given were of course what it was there for, ie to be used in a positive way but I didn’t take it away for no reason and if I think it starts being used in a detrimental way again then, unless I could do something else, I’d do the same thing again.

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

Do you think the Friend / Foe feature reinforces a feeling of antagonism between members?

"X has posted something and s/he is on my foe list so I must disagree with it."

exile

Post by exile »

That is something I have never used and frankly would not really know how to use.
Everyone here is a friend as far as I am concerned. Some I agree with, some I disagree with and some I agree today and disagree tomorrow.

SW31girl

Post by SW31girl »

None of us knows everything so the strength of this forum is from learning from others.
Some do it nicely, others not so nicely. Personally I don’t take offence as I figure that in that trying to get a point across quickly some of us, me included, take quicker short cuts then perhaps we should so don’t come across as polite as we ought to.

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I thought that if someone was on your foe list you can’t see any posts they make? Unless they are quoted in another post

Jackie

Post by Jackie »

Bald Eagle wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:54 pm
Had plenty of crap thrown at me over the years. Usually the same 4 who have themselves changed their names yet play hell with me when I've changed mine. For some obscure reason I was thrown off another French forum recently but had already had this place recommended by another member who thought I was being targeted yet again.

To show you their mentality look at the following:-
From my profile
Joined Fri Feb28, 2020 11.09am

From the other site a thread was started just about me
He's turned up elsewhere

“You know who” has started posting on the newfrenchforum to stir things up there.
Dated 28th February 2020 at 6.21pm
So just over 7 hours after joining here I was a Forum thread on the other site. :D

However, their gunpowder was dampened because I joined using my first ever name from some 15 years ago and 5 forums. This took away their ability to spread innuendoes about who I "really" was.
To be honest I think I've done quite well on here not being targeted and enjoy the banter.
And there was me thinking you’d turned over a new leaf. But no, you have to go raking things up and playing the victim card again. Perhaps I’ll post some links from the other forum that show how much of a wind-up merchant you were but luckily for you I can’t really be bothered. Life is just too bloody short. I think you need to seriously move on and just concentrate on enjoying the banter on here.