A place for some light-hearted chat.
After the Storm

Re: This is the kind of crap we got from members who tried to poison the forum

Post by After the Storm »

why me? wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:34 pm
jsks wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:14 pm
Use invisible ink. Or a dead letter drop.

Or accept that PMs can only be directly seen by the sender and recipient but if the recipient (or sender) wishes they can quote from the PM.

If you don't trust the person you're sending the PM to, don't send it.
I will of course try to comply with all of the above in the future but it none the less comes as a bit of a shock to see in print that it's considered acceptable to divulge that which I naively had considered private amongst members.
I've just seen ATS latest post & would like to make it perfectly clear that there is no inference from me that anyone other than the recipient can/would read any pm & am at a loss as to why you could consider anything I've said as disrespectfull.
Why me, I was replying to this bit "If that's the case may I suggest that PM is a misnomer & that in the interests of clarity the private mail system should be renamed." It's no less private than people writing a ‘private letter’. It's not going to be renamed, sorry but I'm sure we've all got better things to do than be concerned about renaming pm’s

edit, I am going to make a hot chocolate, would you like one?

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur »

I've got a glass of Stella, thanks. I'd put a drop of brandy in the hot chocolate if I were you.
Same old nonsense.

Shely

Post by Shely »

After the Storm wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:18 pm
for why me - There could be a poll tomorrow about keeping the option of being able to pm available or to just get rid of it but considering that v12mike is the only one that can go into the innards of this forum, I don't think what you are implying is respectful why me and I would think that he has far more interesting things to do in life than looking at anything any of us send. I have no problem understanding that a message I send is private and that it doesn't go up onto an open forum. This is all getting silly and I am, yet again, on the receiving end of abuse tonight so I'd appreciate it if things could just calm down and things get back in perspective please. I will emphasis the please, please.
Just to clarify, are you referring to any postings on this thread as abuse or something completely different.

Simonflys

Post by Simonflys »

Crikey - if ever a thread clearly demonstrated OCD.....! 😜🤪😜🤪

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

Hi Shely, I am referring to something completely different, it was unnecessary and unwarranted. I mentioned it because I didn’t want this thread to just start round going round in circles as I wasn’t in the mood to follow it.

I hope everyone enjoys their day, those that like me as well those that have made up their minds not to because they don’t like decisions made on posts in the past on here. But it is just the odd person, the majority have no issues or axe to grind so I do wish you all well.

This thread ought to just fade out.

treiziste

Post by treiziste »

Simonflys wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:13 am
Crikey - if ever a thread clearly demonstrated OCD.....! 😜🤪😜🤪
Laced with a hint of paranoia ?

rabbit

Post by rabbit »

why me? wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:42 pm
jsks wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:38 pm
why me? wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:34 pm

I will of course try to comply with all of the above in the future but it none the less comes as a bit of a shock to see in print that it's considered acceptable to divulge that which I naively had considered private amongst members.
I've just seen ATS latest post & would like to make it perfectly clear that there is no inference from me that anyone other than the recipient can/would read any pm & am at a loss as to why you could consider anything I've said as disrespectfull.
Where does it say it's acceptable?
Not in so many words but "The sender and recipient of a PM can of course read it, and they are free to forward it, or copy and paste the contents to Donald Trump's twitter feed, and that is their decision." makes it pretty clear it is.
But that is the case with any "private" communication. I send person A a personal email and they decide to forward it to person B. Ditto a letter - a private conversation. You put your trust (or not) in the recipient!

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Correct, rabbit, a "private message" remains private unless or until the recipient decides to share it, so there's no earthly reason to change the name of it.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

rabbit wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:10 am
But that is the case with any "private" communication. I send person A a personal email and they decide to forward it to person B. Ditto a letter - a private conversation. You put your trust (or not) in the recipient!
And not just communications - anything. Once it is off your device it is out of your control. Something cloud computing users fail to realise.

One phone app that offers a directory service at install time asks to take a copy of your contacts - sharing is caring - and it takes your entire contacts and updates its database with them. Even contacts who have only shared their details with you.

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

I am not keen on PMs for quite innocent reasons, I keep a file of all my emails for later reference and I have found on at least one other forum that PMs drop off after a certain time. Therefore I rarely send a PM and if I receive one I reply at the same time asking poiltely if in future we could use emails instead.

However, although I believe PMs are private and inaccessible to others, I have always had a deep, almost unconscious, suspicion that someone in a position of power in the forum might be able to.

I am sad to learn then that, my mistrusted supicion has now been proved to be true. Not that I mistrust Mike, I don't, but do think that even more as he moves from being a technical expert to a more hands on position in the running of the forum, that my preference for emails is accentuated.

I can't remember but when becoming a member of the forum are our email addresses asked for? I ask this because, on another forum, an English one, our profiles contain a choice of contact between members. A PM or email button, and direct contact can then be made by-passing the forum.

On the question of privacy, anything can be passed on by a recipient, PMs, emails, private and sealed letters, and of course conversations and recordings. Nothing is really private and I think that this question has been raised more than once in the past. Is a private letter, of any sort, the copyright of the sender, or the property of the recipient to be used or misused at will?