Re: This is the kind of crap we got from members who tried to poison the forum

Post by whyme? »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:34 pm
why me? wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:54 pm
Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:36 pm

If one member decides to share a PM they've received with someone in Admin, that's a different matter entirely.
Any PM ?
Not quite sure what you mean by "Any PM".
I mean why is it 'a different matter entirely' if one member decides to share a PM with 'someone in Admin'? Does the PM become any less private & is it any less a breach of confidence when shared with 'Admin'. By this I do of course mean PM's which do not breach any forum rules which might warrant what is effectively a 'report with proof' on the conduct of said member.
In order to help you further understand my question a case in point might be A telling B his wife was being unfaithfull. Are you suggesting it's OK for B to pass this private information to 'someone in Admin?
So to reiterate my question, do you mean it's OK for a member to share any PM received with 'Admin' ?

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur »

I would treat PMs like anything else on the internet.

The moment I've hit "Send", it's gone beyond my control.

It's what I'd tell adolescents about sexting, too. You may as well blow your selfie up and put a copy on the rear window of your dad's car.
Same old nonsense.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

why me? wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:03 pm
why me? wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:54 pm

Any PM ?
I mean why is it 'a different matter entirely' if one member decides to share a PM with 'someone in Admin'? Does the PM become any less private & is it any less a breach of confidence when shared with 'Admin'. By this I do of course mean PM's which do not breach any forum rules which might warrant what is effectively a 'report with proof' on the conduct of said member.
In order to help you further understand my question a case in point might be A telling B his wife was being unfaithfull. Are you suggesting it's OK for B to pass this private information to 'someone in Admin?
So to reiterate my question, do you mean it's OK for a member to share any PM received with 'Admin' ?
In relation to the question in your last line, it's up to individual members if they choose to share any PMs they've received with anyone else, be it Admin or another member.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

v12mike

Post by v12mike »

There seems to be some misunderstanding of basic concepts.

A PM on this site can only be read by the sender and the recipient. Moderators and Admins cannot read other peoples PMs. As the technical administrator of the site, I (and only I) could directly access the database and read them, but I don't. I don't think that Mysty nor ATS ever had that capability.

If a recipient clicks the [!] button and reports a PM (as offensive or for any reason), then they are warned that "Reporting should generally be used only if the message breaks forum rules. Reporting a private message will make its contents visible to all moderators."

The sender and recipient of a PM can of course read it, and they are free to forward it, or copy and paste the contents to Donald Trump's twitter feed, and that is their decision.

Members who send abusive or inappropriate PMs will be sanctioned.

Ally

Post by Ally »

Does anyone want to move on and make the forum a the success Mike deserves for his endeavors. Sadly some bridges seem destined never to be mended, like Ludendorff, but look how friendly and welcoming Europe is now. All men shall be brothers.

whyme?

Post by whyme? »

Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:13 pm
why me? wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:03 pm
In relation to the question in your last line, it's up to individual members if they choose to share any PMs they've received with anyone else, be it Admin or another member.
If that's the case there can be no honour on this forum. I wouldn't dream of breaking a confidence by passing on the content of a what is considered to be a private mail except under circumstances I've already outlined.
I think, as a moderator of this forum, you've just blown the concept of 'private' mails out of the water & members should be aware it's acceptable for recipients to share them.
Perhaps henceforth they should be called 'Internal mail' . :roll:

Lemorvan

Post by Lemorvan »

Why me? Are you suggesting that FFS is a moderator on this forum?

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

Maybe look at it this way, if someone sent me a pm attacking another member and it was nasty, would you expect me to just sit on it or share it with someone that should know that bullying is being organised against someone so they can either act on it if it was deemed necessary or at least be aware that they need watch out with what is going up so no one gets driven off of the forum. This is a collective club, we are each responsible imo for everyone to be able to post in an environment that is good for everyone. I know, kumbaya and all that but there's enough bad stuff going on out on the streets that it is not needed on here.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

why me? wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:41 pm
I think, as a moderator of this forum, you've just blown the concept of 'private' mails out of the water & members should be aware it's acceptable for recipients to share them.
If you want to put a tagline on the end of any PMs you send along the lines of: "Please don't share this PM with anyone else", then by all means do so. And I was simply saying differently what v12mike posted earlier.
v12mike wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:19 pm
The sender and recipient of a PM can of course read it, and they are free to forward it, or copy and paste the contents to Donald Trump's twitter feed, and that is their decision.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

whyme?

Post by whyme? »

Lemorvan wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:50 pm
Why me? Are you suggesting that FFS is a moderator on this forum?
Not suggesting.