This is the kind of crap we got from members who tried to poison the forum

A place for some light-hearted chat.
FrenchForumSurvivor

Re: This is the kind of crap we got from members who tried to poison the forum

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Elizabeth wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:19 am
I thought that if someone was on your foe list you can’t see any posts they make? Unless they are quoted in another post
Correct, Elizabeth, though you are given the option to view the post made by your foe. What comes up is along the lines of: This post has been made by someone on your foe list, do you want to view the post? Yes/No.

Also worth knowing is that having someone on your foe list doesn't stop them sending you a PM, though you are not obliged, obviously, to read it before deleting it.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Loup-garou

Post by Loup-garou »

No doubt I will receive some flack for this but I cannot subscribe to the "We are all friends on here" point of view. To harbour such feelings seems to me to confuse the real world with a limited, artificial one.

Contributors here are one dimensional - we only have their writings to judge them by and, to boot, they are the ones deciding/sanitizing what and how much they write. A friend is someone with whom I have a bond, hopefully mutual. You trust a friend, you share personal details with a friend and people become friends by shared experience and, in particular, adversity and difficulty. I cannot stretch that to those on the forum when I don't know much about them personally, have no face to face contact to help judge and cannot compare impressions with other mutual friends.

I know some on here have met face to face and it may be appropriate to use the term "friend" in those cases but, for me, it would be false.

treiziste

Post by treiziste »

I would like to think I have many online ‘friends’,people I have never met in most cases. I believe one can form a ‘bond’ with someone on a forum.

Timoth

Post by Timoth »

Oddly, with a couple of exceptions, I do not want to meet those I regard as forum friends as it might change my image of them. The same goes for putting on photos of oneself.
The exception is the great person I did meet up with on a French forum who is now my partner.

Loup-garou

Post by Loup-garou »

Well, I think you can identify like minded people on a forum - from what they post. Having done so, you may be more inclined to read, agree with or even defend their posts. However, you make the distinction between "friends" and "online friends" and whilst following your sentiments, I merely say that the two are not the same.

I do not think that I could say I have developed a "bond" with some one I know only in the one dimension of a forum. There is too much that I don't know about them and they may be miles away from the persona I imagine I know.

Stompie

Post by Stompie »

treiziste wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:38 am
I would like to think I have many online ‘friends’,people I have never met in most cases. I believe one can form a ‘bond’ with someone on a forum.
Absolutely. I've made several real friends via conversations on forums. Some I've met, some remain virtual.
It did get a little surreal when I discovered someone I met in France was a friend of one of my virtual friends. Small world!

Loup-Garou, I think your point of view is a little sad. Surely when we meet someone in "real" life we are still only seeing the image they want to project to us?

Mrs Archy

Post by Mrs Archy »

I view the forum as a bit like having (in the old days!) pen friends - mostly you never meet them.
A vos et nos sourires masqués, puisqu’il ne reste que nos yeux pour parler… Déjà hâte de vous retrouver!

‘The brightest flame casts the darkest shadows’

Ally

Post by Ally »

You're my friend LG. On the TF forum I initially had a casual presence until the independence referendum was announced. You posted something that begged a response and suddenly a forum that pontificated on a subject that it had so little knowledge of realised it had a Jock in the Box that wouldn't get back in. Jings the pelters I took on there and the subsequent FE. Like I say LG, you're my friend because you created this monster. Bwah hah hah hah hah! 🤣🤣🤣

Ally

Post by Ally »

Stompie wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:29 pm
treiziste wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:38 am
Absolutely. I've made several real friends via conversations on forums. Some I've met, some remain virtual.
It did get a little surreal when I discovered someone I met in France was a friend of one of my virtual friends. Small world!

Loup-Garou, I think your point of view is a little sad. Surely when we meet someone in "real" life we are still only seeing the image they want to project to us?
Beat this. Someone I met on the forum turned out to be my full cousin. It took a series of amazing coincidences in our real lives before he made the connection and we met for the first time ever a few months later at an aunt's funeral.

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

I reckon I’ve been lucky, one of my best friends I met through a forum and we’ve gone on holiday together without our OHs which is always fun! :P I do consider some on here as friends, hell, I’ve likely had longer conversations with them than I’ve had with my own brother since this place started :lol: and I would think that the ones I do chat with on and offline would very likely become friends out in the RW too.

Edit but that doesn’t mean everyone has to feel the same about this place or those on it and can just use it as they want to.