What makes a place home?

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Spardo

Re: What makes a place home?

Post by Spardo »

For me it is landscape and space, I would not, and have not, bought a house without a view.
As for space I don't mean that literally, our current place is quite small, and as hoarders that is a problem. By space I mean the immediate surroundings, what we see immediately outside the windows. Here it is trees and shrubs, all wild and a pond, there must be a pond, rock surrounded with drooping fronds. :D

Oh, and although our last place, an ex council flat near Nottingham had plenty of space and a view, nevertheless it was still a flat with someone below and someone to one side.

I will never, ever, share a wall, floor or ceiling with anyone else. :twisted:
Last edited by Spardo on Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Timoth

Post by Timoth »

Home is where you love.

Ally

Post by Ally »

jsks wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:20 am
It's funny but, although I haven't lived there for nearly half a century, I always refer to Ireland as 'home'.

If there's something about Ireland on the news, say, I might say something like 'Have you seen what's happening back home?'

I still feel very much in transit and have done for a long time. However, OH agrees that a move to Ireland is a goer. Maybe this house in Waterford would persuade her:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-pr ... cyCode=GBP
Very nice. Awfy asymmetrical though. 🤣🤣

jsks

Post by jsks »

Ally wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:56 pm
jsks wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:20 am
It's funny but, although I haven't lived there for nearly half a century, I always refer to Ireland as 'home'.

If there's something about Ireland on the news, say, I might say something like 'Have you seen what's happening back home?'

I still feel very much in transit and have done for a long time. However, OH agrees that a move to Ireland is a goer. Maybe this house in Waterford would persuade her:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-pr ... cyCode=GBP
Very nice. Awfy asymmetrical though. 🤣🤣
Put me right off, that has. And Waterford has nine letters but I prefer places with an even numbers of letters.

So many downsides.

mysty

Post by mysty »

Home, anywhere we have our things about and the cat and dog are happy.
France has been home now for a very long time.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Catrose

Post by Catrose »

The dog, a decent shower and my favourite picture(s). Oh, and the OH of course.

I wouldn’t live in that house in Waterford if you paid me! Soulless, ugly, and not even nicely planted garden. I’d prefer a quirky camper van in the next field as location is great!

jsks

Post by jsks »

Catrose wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:43 pm
The dog, a decent shower and my favourite picture(s). Oh, and the OH of course.

I wouldn’t live in that house in Waterford if you paid me! Soulless, ugly, and not even nicely planted garden. I’d prefer a quirky camper van in the next field as location is great!
Can we arrange a pitch rental?

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

I've had quite a transitory life. Scotland will always be "home" in the sense of where my family is from, the culture that shaped me, the place that first taught me, where my "old" relatives are/were...in another sense and more related to where do I consider home as in the here and now then it's which ever place that has a roof and where my books and pictures are. It can't just be where OH and pets are because they move on almost a weekly basis again just now but the place I refer to as home here when we talk, is the one with the books and pictures.

mysty

Post by mysty »

After the Storm wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:30 pm
I've had quite a transitory life. Scotland will always be "home" in the sense of where my family is from, the culture that shaped me, the place that first taught me, where my "old" relatives are/were...in another sense and more related to where do I consider home as in the here and now then it's which ever place that has a roof and where my books and pictures are. It can't just be where OH and pets are because they move on almost a weekly basis again just now but the place I refer to as home here when we talk, is the one with the books and pictures.
Forgot to mention you :lol:
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Timoth

Post by Timoth »

😂🥰