Would You Live In The UK Again?

A place for some light-hearted chat.
FrenchForumSurvivor

Re: Would You Live In The UK Again?

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Ally wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:42 pm
Not that I'd wish to rain on anyone's parade, but ladies and gentlemen, I give you ...
https://www.urbanunionltd.co.uk/2019/03 ... l-country/
Well done, Scotland, but it's only a rough guide. And France not even in the top 20.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

limousinlady

Post by limousinlady »

Gardengirl wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:31 pm
People I know who had lived in France have returned to the UK have done so for two main reasons; moving back to be close to family, often grandchildren, and finding that the faculties of one or both are failing. As one couple put it, we didn’t want to grow old in a care home not understanding what people were saying to us; one of that couple had early signs of dementia and the other was finding coping with it very tough.

Few of us have any idea how our needs will alter as we age, how we’ll cope as our bodies slow down, maybe have to cope with one of a couple developing dementia or another life-changing condition. Many think they realise what’s involved and that they’ll cope at least as well in France as they would in the UK or wherever they are from, but I think it’s probably a very low number who really do realise.
I agree, my main concern is as we grow older that we wouldn't be able to cope alone or manage within a care home in France. This is our adventure for now, and we do not want to return to the UK for a good few years yet, but we have kept a foothold in the UK.

curtis

Post by curtis »

But wouldn't it be just the same in a care home here?
All sat round dozing in front of a TV. Hopefully you might find someone to whom you could chat. Who knows?
I haven't forgotten doing the rounds with my Sister looking for a care home for our parents. I have to walk out of the room if anything concerning that comes up on the TV.
Drive fast, attract the Police. Drive faster, attract sponsors.

TriciaF

Post by TriciaF »

As I've written many times , we always intended to return. Feeling english because of our previous lives.
So after 18 wonderful years in France we knew we don't belong there. We came back and feel at home, in spite of this country's abysmal govt.
Only England, Ally. ;)

bluebird

Post by bluebird »

There is a fair chance we will end up back in the UK due to all the complications of Brexit etc.etc. We both tend to be quite pragmatic and will make the best of what ever situation confronts us. I've lived all over the world but now looking for a place to call home, if honest. As others have mentioned there are some very nice places to live in Britain. We did have a place in Cyprus up until recently, that may be an option perhaps. I am certainly not anti UK and it's really disappointing to see the way the country is going under Boris and the Tory nut jobs.

exile

Post by exile »

curtis wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:56 pm
But wouldn't it be just the same in a care home here?
All sat round dozing in front of a TV. Hopefully you might find someone to whom you could chat. Who knows?
I haven't forgotten doing the rounds with my Sister looking for a care home for our parents. I have to walk out of the room if anything concerning that comes up on the TV.
In principle yes, but if you start suffering from dementia, then it is more recent events that disappear from the memory first. At some stage that would then mean that you forget how to speak and understand French* and then you become totally isolated not understanding at all what is going on.

* I believe that loss of foreign languages is a proven later symptom of dementia.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

That theory might explain my problem with French. :good:
Visit historic Barnard Castle. Lockdown day trips now available.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Many must have been demented before moving here then.

SW31girl

Post by SW31girl »

No. I take the view that if I go gaga I’m not going to understand whether it’s in English or French. Personally, having seen some excellent care for the elderly I think it would be better to age here than in the U.K.

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:47 am
Many must have been demented before moving here then.
Guilty as charged, m'lud. :|
Visit historic Barnard Castle. Lockdown day trips now available.