A place for some light-hearted chat.
Captain Morgan

Re: Would You Live In The UK Again?

Post by Captain Morgan »

Bald Eagle wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:01 pm
Ally wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:52 pm

The first B in BBC stands for British. That might explain why you and the likes of you are so ignorant of facts.
No the first B stands for Biased. :)
While I was still in the US the BBC was my link to sanity!

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

Catrose wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:24 am
Like exile, I’d never say never but certainly it’s not part of the plan. One concern is if one of us got dementia and lost ability to speak/understand French which would make it very hard for them to stay here, but apart from that not sure what could draw me back there. (Although god help us if other one lost ability to speak English...)
In effect something similar has already happened to us. Not sure if it is my hearing but I am finding it more difficult now than when I came here to understand spoken French.

Due possibly to my wife's 3 mini strokes what was a joke between us is now more serious as I really struggle increasingly to understand what she says.

It reminds me of my brother who, at the grand old age of 47 joked with everyone but Mum, who was the first to be alarmed and understood that it was serious, about his growing absent mindedness and said, 'as long as this thing in my head is not cancer I'll be alright in a bit.'

It was a large inoperable tumor and he was dead within a month. A sobering thought, but, if it is inevitable we might just as well keep joking about it. :|

Simonflys

Post by Simonflys »

Can't imagine ever living in the UK again - so lucky to live in such a gorgeous part of the World!

Took this pic early this morning, took my breath away - I just never get used to the views which change every day...
IMG_20200612_065745.jpg

Lemorvan

Post by Lemorvan »

Reminds me of the Trough of Bowland.
In Lancashire Loup-garou. Could have been number 3 on your list.
Last edited by Lemorvan on Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gigi

Post by Gigi »

People I know who had lived in France have returned to the UK have done so for two main reasons; moving back to be close to family, often grandchildren, and finding that the faculties of one or both are failing. As one couple put it, we didn’t want to grow old in a care home not understanding what people were saying to us; one of that couple had early signs of dementia and the other was finding coping with it very tough.

Few of us have any idea how our needs will alter as we age, how we’ll cope as our bodies slow down, maybe have to cope with one of a couple developing dementia or another life-changing condition. Many think they realise what’s involved and that they’ll cope at least as well in France as they would in the UK or wherever they are from, but I think it’s probably a very low number who really do realise.

wilbro

Post by wilbro »

Ally wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:35 pm
wilbro wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:46 pm
With a bit of luck there will be no UK to move back to. If forced for whatever raeson it would ideally be to an independant Scotland.
You're welcome, although once you're here you'll need to agree to spell independent the Scottish way.
:lol: Quite right Ally, hadn't spotted my error. I never type like I write.

wilbro

Post by wilbro »

According to the extreme Right the BBC is biased and according to the Extreme Left it's biased so I guess it's fairly up the middle. What all these criticisms of bias so often mean is that "they don't like the facts up 'em Mr Mannering " :lol:

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

Simonflys wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:22 pm
Can't imagine ever living in the UK again - so lucky to live in such a gorgeous part of the World!

Took this pic early this morning, took my breath away - I just never get used to the views which change every day...

That is beautiful.

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur »

Simonflys wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:22 pm

Well, thanks for that, Simon.

Rained all day here. :x :lol:
Same old nonsense.

Ally

Post by Ally »

Not that I'd wish to rain on anyone's parade, but ladies and gentlemen, I give you ...
https://www.urbanunionltd.co.uk/2019/03 ... l-country/