When was the last time you actually lived in the UK?

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Le Démerdeur

Re: When was the last time you actually lived in the UK?

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Catrose wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:36 pm
My last visit was in March, due back 20-somethingth. But when Macron announced the confinement I dropped everything and bolted back to get home before being confined.
Myself as well, arrived at exactly 20.00 on the 16th to hear the allocution, as it turns out we could have returned at any time since then, like you I didn't expect it to be the case and had to decide instantly, financially things would have been far better had I remained in the UK and I would have relet the house that I had until then intended to sell.

My decision was made on an assessment of the risk, I decided, rightly as has been proved that a confimement in France would be more strict, better observed, over quicker and ultimately a much safer place to be and to hell with the cost.

Ally

Post by Ally »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:55 pm
Catrose wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:36 pm
My last visit was in March, due back 20-somethingth. But when Macron announced the confinement I dropped everything and bolted back to get home before being confined.
Myself as well, arrived at exactly 20.00 on the 16th to hear the allocution, as it turns out we could have returned at any time since then, like you I didn't expect it to be the case and had to decide instantly, financially things would have been far better had I remained in the UK and I would have relet the house that I had until then intended to sell.

My decision was made on an assessment of the risk, I decided, rightly as has been proved that a confimement in France would be more strict, better observed, over quicker and ultimately a much safer place to be and to hell with the cost.
My choice of stay or go was eventually made for me and I've been in Scotland for 13 weeks now rather than the 13 days I had intended. On balance its been good to be confined here rather than in France. Family, exceptionally good weather, jobs done around chez Sally, walking the dog and paradoxically meeting loads of people and chatting and learning about our town more than I have in the previous 20 years. All while observing social distancing of course.
This might seem twee but l think I've witnessed more community spirit than I have for a very long time and it did feel as if we're all in it together. That's not say i wouldn't have in France but for me at least, that's normal there.

Catrose

Post by Catrose »

Well if I’d had to stay in the UK then Scotland is where I’d want to be...much more sense from Scot Gov’t than UK,

Tom

Post by Tom »

:) Will be twenty years ago come December. Have visited four times since but never stayed for more than three days on any occasion and two of these were for funerals, so rather depressing.

:( Two other things depressed me too: smart motorways on my last visit and the proliferation of betting shops in the high streets, which seem to target the poorest and the most vulnerable or just aid and abet criminals in laundering their ill-earned cash.
“He who laughs last didn’t get the joke.”
– Charles de Gaulle

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Even going back several times a year you notice the creeping diferences as big differences.

In the time that I have been away I have seen a complete change in the density and demographic of the population in my birth area, one that I dont care for but realise that I would be part of it and I could be someone else who took the opportunity I did looking at me, that doesn't even make sense to me as I cant express it in words.

The place would have changed anyway and i with it had I remained, instead I have changed in a different direction which at least is preferable to not changing at all, it means that the common ground I had with friends and family has all but dissapeared.

My over-riding impression last time aside from the ever increasing traffic gridlock was the tens of thousands of new houses being built & knowing that there would be few takers for them, that they would be knocked out on part exchange deals with low rate mortgages meaning existing homes would become unoccupied, in short I felt there would be a housing crash as the same was happening across the country, I decided to sell up while I could but CV19 has put paid to that.

The crash is already underway and I think the sites will remain as they are, the partially finished houses may be completed but I cant see any more being built which is perhaps a good thing. I just wish I could have got out, now I have no choice but to remain for an income.

Loup-garou

Post by Loup-garou »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:13 am

The place would have changed anyway and i with it had I remained, instead I have changed in a different direction which at least is preferable to not changing at all, it means that the common ground I had with friends and family has all but dissapeared.
I understand that sentiment completely and agree with it - although I remain close to my existing family in and around my place of birth and upbringing.

I was invited back to school reunions and was even asked to give a talk to the senior school on a couple of occasions but I did not take those up. I am not the person who left there all those years ago. When I do go back to visit family (the last time three years ago for a funeral) I prefer to visit the sites of interest or go hill walking rather than falling temporarily back into the life, which is no longer mine. My first wife, who died, although Scottish was effectively from there so maybe that changed things.

Without a doubt, I am happier in the here and now!