When was the last time you actually lived in the UK?

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Lapourtaider

Re: When was the last time you actually lived in the UK?

Post by Lapourtaider »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:16 pm
A rough calculation from those who've answered and who still live abroad shows an average period away from the UK as 19+ years; without still living there ourselves, and regardless of the fact that we may still have family there and that we read the various versions of the UK press, what gives us here in France the right to have a point of view on what is currently happening in the UK that is worth respecting or listening to more than that of someone in situ? I'm not trying to start a polemic, just a discussion, but it's something that set me wondering.
Ok. Regardless of the fact that the rest of my family lives there. My pension comes from there (for which I HAVE to pay tax on there, so still a taxpayer there), and therefore everything that happens there has a direct impact on me and mine.

Having said that, I don't think I have personally commented on stuff about the UK, but I might be wrong 😃

Ally

Post by Ally »

Surely any topic of discussion on here is open to everyone, including UK current affairs, regardless of how long they've been absent although it's probably best to keep out of discussions where you don't have a clue. Like me with cars and computers. And windaes in stone walls.

Mrs Archy

Post by Mrs Archy »

2007 and I have never visited. OH has visited once and that was a quick visit in 2017 to pick up a new car.
A vos et nos sourires masqués, puisqu’il ne reste que nos yeux pour parler… Déjà hâte de vous retrouver!

‘The brightest flame casts the darkest shadows’

lindal1000

Post by lindal1000 »

Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:16 pm
A rough calculation from those who've answered and who still live abroad shows an average period away from the UK as 19+ years; without still living there ourselves, and regardless of the fact that we may still have family there and that we read the various versions of the UK press, what gives us here in France the right to have a point of view on what is currently happening in the UK that is worth respecting or listening to more than that of someone in situ? I'm not trying to start a polemic, just a discussion, but it's something that set me wondering.
We've been here since 2011..and I haven't been back for 2 years now, since I sold my house. But the fact remains, that like it or not we are still British citizens and if the sh*t hits the fan and Le Pen gets elected, the UK is where we will be deported to. Even if we get French nationality we still remain British unless we pay money to renounce it.

JohnnyD

Post by JohnnyD »

Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:56 pm
As opposed to just visiting. And obviously, the question is meant for those of us who are now resident somewhere out of the UK.

Me, that last year of living in the UK was 2004. Despite the first words of my post, the last visit was in 2010.
Unfortunately I am still living in the U.K. :( but trying hard not to......

JD

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

Apart from one wedding (Grandson's) and one funeral (Dad's) and a speedy Passport renewal at Peterborough, I have only been back now and again to deliver dogs, and cats. Not once, so to speak, voluntarily. ;)

Stompie

Post by Stompie »

As a lunatic trying to get back into the asylum :roll: I hope I still have a right to comment. I still have a vote there, as well as family directly affected by what happens.
I just hope it's not united for too much longer.

Dilly

Post by Dilly »

Came to work in France in September 1974 (the temporary job became permanent).
Last visit to the UK: Easter 2019. I took my granddaughter to London to see the sights.

Loup-garou

Post by Loup-garou »

Like so much in life (well, my life anyway) something significant has to happen to deflect you from the comfortable path you are happily following. :|

We bought our house here in 2006. I was lucky to retire early, albeit on a frozen pension and lump sum until I reached the qualifying age. My wife continued to work so I spent all summer here plus 4 further one week or ten day visits. Once my wife retired (also early), we spent more and more time here. Then June 24, 2016 happened . We had gone back to the UK to vote, a three day trip, and returned immediately afterwards, overnight 23/24 June. We awoke, in France, to the shock result. The next week we started putting our ducks in a row to move permanently ....... :? officially.

Having notified everybody we could think of, I spoke to the Mayor who knew how much time I spent in France and we agreed 1 February 2017 would be a good date to make it official and he gave me an attestation to that effect to use with the health, tax etc people. It had been our intention to rent out our UK house unfurnished so I went to the UK in January 2017 to supervise the removal company which took everything save for a bed, sofa and telly. To make the house rental ready, required me to return to the UK a few times and put some hours in. I found this increasingly unattractive so the house remained empty, for the most part, aside from the 5 visits a year my wife made. We then got a letter from Epping Forest District Council stating that it intended to use new legislation and increase our council tax by 100% as the property was empty. At the same time, another office in the Council wrote to offer me interest free loans to prepare the house to let. Anyway, we decided that it was foolish to pay TV licence, insurance, a gardener, window cleaner and double council tax on a house that was hardly used so we put it on the market and sold it - it had taken another significant event to shake me out of my complacency.

So, the abridged version is I moved here in February 2017 and have not been back to the UK since - before CV19, my wife made five trips a year and I expect that to resume eventually, all being well.

Catrose

Post by Catrose »

We bought our first place in France in 2000. But I continued to work in the UK so would take first train on Monday morning and back on Thursday - so officially remained UK resident even tho’ life was actually here. It was only when I retired that became a permanent resident. And now go back once or twice a year to see friends and family, usually not for long. My last visit was in March, due back 20-somethingth. But when Macron announced the confinement I dropped everything and bolted back to get home before being confined. Still waiting for unused ticket refunds.