When was the last time you actually lived in the UK?

A place for some light-hearted chat.
jsks

Re: When was the last time you actually lived in the UK?

Post by jsks »

Timoth wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:32 pm
Perhaps I might give the answer differently? I have only lived in England for a total of 25 of my nearly 73 years. Given some of the stuff I have read on this forum I think that was too many years. Admittedly 10 years were out of loyalty, not choice, working at a UK University, a right shithouse!
I've just worked out that I've spent 21 years of my life in England, 3 in Wales, 5 in Scotland, and 13 in Ireland, 11 in Germany, 5 in France, 3 in Hong Kong, and some periods in Nepal and Brunei in my 63 years. During this time I've moved house 23 times.

In order of preference I'd go for

1. Germany
2. HK
3. France

England would be next to last but one rung above N Ireland.

And where would I live given a free choice? Probably Southern Ireland. (Edit: Specifically Cork, Waterford or Westmeath)

Timoth

Post by Timoth »

Cannot think of a single reason to go to Germany. My biggest regret was ever returning to Europe but HK was fun, wish I could have stayed. My only vision ok UK is in the depths of Somerset.

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

My biggest regret was leaving OZ and not going back in time to establish residency before the barriers came down.
I have frequent contacts with friends still there and one couple renewed our acquaintence here a few years ago after 45 years.
Now I watch with nostalgia, as well as interest, the current re-investigation into the murder of Peter Falconio in the NT.

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

jsks wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:27 pm

I've just worked out that I've spent 21 years of my life in England, 3 in Wales, 5 in Scotland, and 13 in Ireland, 11 in Germany, 5 in France, 3 in Hong Kong, and some periods in Nepal and Brunei in my 63 years. During this time I've moved house 23 times.

In order of preference I'd go for

1. Germany
2. HK
3. France

England would be next to last but one rung above N Ireland.

And where would I live given a free choice? Probably Southern Ireland. (Edit: Specifically Cork, Waterford or Westmeath)
My father used to go to Germany on courses for his work, he always enjoyed his time there, both the courses and the people he met. I’ve only been a few short times but would love the opportunity to spend more time there, met some lovely people, just like my father did.

exile

Post by exile »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:16 pm
A rough calculation from those who've answered and who still live abroad shows an average period away from the UK as 19+ years; without still living there ourselves, and regardless of the fact that we may still have family there and that we read the various versions of the UK press, what gives us here in France the right to have a point of view on what is currently happening in the UK that is worth respecting or listening to more than that of someone in situ? I'm not trying to start a polemic, just a discussion, but it's something that set me wondering.
Why is the UK important to me?
All the rest of my family still live there
A not insignificant portion of my income comes from there and is based in GBP (£). I am therefore subservient on the exchange rates which can be impacted by almost anything and everything that happens there.
My healthcare is covered from the UK.
I still have a lot of friends who live there. [Incidentally I continue to follow what happens in Germany for exactly the same reason.]

exile

Post by exile »

Timoth wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:43 pm
Cannot think of a single reason to go to Germany.
Interesting comment T. Any specific reason? That is exactly the opposite of my feelings and if I had had the finance to buy a similar property to what we now have here in France, I might well have chosen to stay there on retirement. But that was never going to happen even though the cost of housing has gradually fallen over nearly 30 years in the area I would have been interested in.

Ally

Post by Ally »

exile wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:09 am
Timoth wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:43 pm
Cannot think of a single reason to go to Germany.
Interesting comment T. Any specific reason? That is exactly the opposite of my feelings and if I had had the finance to buy a similar property to what we now have here in France, I might well have chosen to stay there on retirement. But that was never going to happen even though the cost of housing has gradually fallen over nearly 30 years in the area I would have been interested in.
The unqualified comment says more about him than it does about Germany.

Timoth

Post by Timoth »

Erudition down to your usual low standard, alley!

Polarengineer

Post by Polarengineer »

49 years ago and the only thing I really miss is a skylark singing on a warm spring day.
I have experienced a mid winter whiteout on the high tundra between Alta and Skaidi, I tell you, it's no big deal there is nothing to see, anyway, but I must go back there as I think I left the lights on.