Android or Windows based head unit for car...

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
Le Démerdeur

Re: Android or Windows based head unit for car...

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Sounds like a great compliment to the +2 Hal :good:

My Elan S4 has the original radio and between the seats facing forward from the rear bulkhead in a carpet covered housing are a 70's cassette player and 8 track stereo :lol:

Needless to say the door trims and parcel shelf have been butchered for speakers :(

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Spider.

My first unit was destined for the same destination until I had the lightbulb moment :idea: :idea:

I fully expected the same problems on the unit for my next vehicle especially as it was far cheaper and was prepared to accept them but its completely stable and does everything that it should.

No idea what the difference is other than the luck of the draw.

Hal

Post by Hal »

For this one I am happy to forget the phone linking, or any of the other stuff. A music source and a satnav is what I really want. I'll risk the Windows on this one as the unit generally ticks the boxes (size being the uno no.1)

I might have been content with a single din stereo and a windscreen stuck-on satnav, but with many of these cloth cap types and their old kit cars (for that is all an Elan is.. :lol: ) it is all about originality, so i am purposefully going out of my way to be all but original :D A big screen in the middle of the board should get some of them spluttering - and as for having a reverse camera, should send some into early dementia :lol:

thanks again everyone - appreciated!

Yes, the S4 was a bit better thought out. Now, an 8 track - if I could get one and a trunk of old cassettes, I'd be happy! This was the only system that really cracked the stereo concept imo...

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I couldnt bring myself to cut the dashboard for a double DIN unit although thats exactly what would have been done in the day.

I would however want the 7"/8" screen, satnav & recersing camera, decades ago the silly expensive "look at me!" stereos had a screen that motorised out and deployed, dont even think it was a touch screen but to show the graphic equaliser etc, something like that for a modern head unit would be the ultimate for a classic kit car :lol:

I would not want to be without a reversing camera now, I dont use it for positioning or to watch the corners, I still do all that by the mirrors but its so good for being able to get really close to a vehicle or obstacle behind when shunting for parallel parking etc.