Inspiration needed, please!

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Stompie

Inspiration needed, please!

Post by Stompie »

I got a message this morning from a friend who works in a nursery class asking if I would do a quick video for her class about the differences between living in France and Scotland.
I'm completely at a loss! What on earth can I talk about for a couple of minutes for four year olds? Oh and she needs it in the next 24 hours.
Anyone with very small people know what might interest them?

exile

Re: Inspiration needed, please!

Post by exile »

You could start with how French schools follow government advice, whereas it would seem your friend is working in a nursery that does not.
Scottish schools have been advised to remain closed until the start of the new school year in August.

Are you sure you've not been had?

Mrs Archy

Post by Mrs Archy »

Could you mention food? Kid's love their food I'm thinking Haggis compared to Panse de Brebis Farcie, Scotch Pancakes, Escargot, Pissaladière - kids would find that word funny but is it suitable? Bisque compared to Cullen Skink. Not sure that this is any help whatsoever! Do let us know.
A vos et nos sourires masqués, puisqu’il ne reste que nos yeux pour parler… Déjà hâte de vous retrouver!

‘The brightest flame casts the darkest shadows’

Catrose

Post by Catrose »

You tell them that men wear skirts, you eat sheep's intestine filled with sheep’s heart, liver and lungs and you dance on top of swords, and throw tree trunks for competitive sports ....nothing like stereotypes to amuse children.

Or about the Loch Ness monster? Or Kelpies

Or you could ne serious and say that France and Scotland have lots of connections as Mary Queen of Scots was brought up in France and married a French king. And that Scottish soldiers guarded French royalty for many years (garde ecossaise)

French schools have been back for a couple of weeks now, with careful restrictions. One of Macron’s priorities was to make sure poor children did not fall behind.

Ally

Post by Ally »

You could mention that children think nothing of kissing and hugging as a greeting in France, while wee Scots laddies would run a mile from a kiss lest their teeth should fall out. Big laddies don't do that.
Perhaps also the difference in the school week and maybe holidays.

Stompie

Post by Stompie »

exile wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:05 pm
You could start with how French schools follow government advice, whereas it would seem your friend is working in a nursery that does not.
Scottish schools have been advised to remain closed until the start of the new school year in August.

Are you sure you've not been had?
It's all online, they aren't back in school until August at the earliest.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I think I'll probably go for greetings and then food, croissants instead of toast, different cheeses etc. I did think of popping up to the village and getting a baguette from the machine - that entertains me so probably about the level of a four year old!
Older kids would be a little easier I think. I can't remember what would have held the attention of my two when they were that age.

exile

Post by exile »

My apologies. You didn't explain that and it did sound a bit fishy - to me at least.

Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Plants/veg growing in your garden, or surrounding fields...lizards sunbathing....strange insects....eating meals outside...stone buldings with terracotta roofs and blinds....sounds of criquets, frogs, cuckoo...your horses wearing fly rugs and masks....

My grandson is 4 and I think those are the kind of things that might interest him.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

The games consoles use a different language, other than that nothing else significant to a 4 year old :lol:

Stompie

Post by Stompie »

Thanks for the inspiration!
I ended taking a walk round the garden looking at the well, how much further on the fruit and veg is here. Tomatoes and courgettes outdoors. Big pile of firewood.
Then a bit about tiny cups of coffee and croissants dipped in jam. Hopefully the little darlings will like it. I can't believe most of them weren't born when we left the village.