Abolition Of Slavery And Of The Trade Itself.

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Hal

Re: Abolition Of Slavery And Of The Trade Itself.

Post by Hal »

Totally agree there Wilbro :P

I can deal with the over 55s, but as for the youngsters, they beat it all - no opinion and sadly no intellect. Only the other day - following Churchill's statue being defaced, I tried to have a conversation with a friends' son on WW2 in general. He barely knew what Churchill was responsible for despite having quite a high grade in his Bac! But he understood that if it were not for de Gaulle, the war would not have been won by the allies :lol: Such is the brainwashing called education.

Ally

Post by Ally »

"ignorant younger people who don't have an appreciation of history"

It isn't their fault Wilbro. The curriculum does that to them. The British and, I'm sorry to say it, the English in particular have a sense of superiority because the history taught in schools portrays the UK as a great educator and civiliser of others while missing out much of the plundering of resources and people. The Empire was a massive well organised pirate enterprise, yet the majority of British still to this day believe it was a positive thing.

Jackie

Post by Jackie »

Now youngism has been added to the mix 🤣

wilbro

Post by wilbro »

Jackie now read my post again. It included "Jackie your generalisations apply to all age groups".

I also agree with your comment Ally. I was dumbfounded once when a middle aged member of my larger family turned to me and asked "who won the war?" This was in regard to a tv programme on WW2. She was educated in the late 60's & early 70's and the educational standards were slipping then to say the least.

But the problem now, and again I say this for Jackie's benefit-it applies to all ages, is that the latest gossip about footballers, pop stars, reality shows etc. on their smartphones is much more important to a lot of people than being a member of the real world

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

Jackie wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:57 am

I’m genuinely sorry if you have been offended although I thought I had been careful not to make it sound like one by saying ‘thank goodness they’re not all like that’ and saying some women are like it too.
I accept your apology as I hope you have accepted mine in the other thread. So thank you.

Timoth

Post by Timoth »

Ally wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:48 am
"ignorant younger people who don't have an appreciation of history"

It isn't their fault Wilbro. The curriculum does that to them. The British and, I'm sorry to say it, the English in particular have a sense of superiority because the history taught in schools portrays the UK as a great educator and civiliser of others while missing out much of the plundering of resources and people. The Empire was a massive well organised pirate enterprise, yet the majority of British still to this day believe it was a positive thing.
Never heard of the Darien Company, Ally? Also check out the origins of the original founders of, say, Hong Kong. And what is the name of the on the plinth In Edinburgh?

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

wilbro wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:18 am
Jackie your generalisations apply to all age groups and I believed the most closed mindsets belong to the uneducated, ignorant younger people who don't have an appreciation of history, their environment or the ability to make up their own minds but depend on the rubbish one sees in the modern day gutter press....
As a 57 year old, am I allowed to say that I largely disagree with your idea of "the most closed mindsets", in the context of this topic at least? It is the younger people, educated or not and ignorant or not, who have the more open and accepting attitude to the rainbow-mix of today's society, having grown up and alongside members of a society that was not their parents', and who accept the Africans, West Indians, Asians, Arabs, and all the variants thereof as the people they are, not part of the group that their colour lumps them in, the latter simply being an effect of nature.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

jsks

Post by jsks »

wilbro wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:34 pm
I was dumbfounded once when a middle aged member of my larger family turned to me and asked "who won the war?"
According to Hollywood, John Wayne and Audie Murphy.

In reality the Russians and Americans.

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur »

I suppose it depends on the age of the "younger" ones Spardo had in mind. 20-somethings are like that, perhaps (because they are just out of an educational system which taught it); 40-somethings are maybe less so; and the older people have seen it all and realise life isn't as simple as we'd like?
Same old nonsense.

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

Spardo wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:46 am
In a former life, when I thought you cd politely persuade people not to be racist
I spent quite some time wondering how this person's cd came into the equation, and then I realised that it was just too much trouble to type 'oul' as well as all the rest of the letters.

Apart from sharing her outrage at being to told to go back if she doesn't like the place, assuming that like me, she sounds English or British and doesn't put on a phoney accent to fool people into thinking she isn't, I suppose my crime is being an over 55 year old man.

And therefore not worth listening to for an opinion. Which of course is both sexist and ageist at the same time.
Let me explain why your attempt at insulting you do not know is so wrong. There is something out there that many people use off this forum, it is called twitter. Unlike this forum where one can write as much nonsense as one likes, on there it is different and a post (which is actually referred to as a tweet ) limits you to the number of letters that can be used in a single tweet. Actually might have been worth adopting that on this forum at times methinks. Perhaps now you could apologise to the person you inferred was lazy.
So on the point, I agree with what you say after towards the end of your post. I think you would appreciate knowing that I at least agree with you on one thing.