Abolition Of Slavery And Of The Trade Itself.

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Spardo

Re: Abolition Of Slavery And Of The Trade Itself.

Post by Spardo »

Hexenbeest wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:39 pm
Flaneur wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:26 pm
He got off to a bad start for me:
The writer is a she. I thought it was obvious going by her photo at the top of the piece.

Hexenbeest is also a she!

Here's the link to the writer's actual tweet. You can put your counter argument directly to her:
Well it wasn't obvious to me because, fed up with following links I can't read, I didn't. Perhaps that is what happened in Flaneur's case too. Regarding posters' genders, that is not of course always obvious as many pseudos are not gender specific.

My counter argument to her (which I can't do directly as I don't do Twitter or wherever it was from) is that the payment was not made to line slavers' pockets, the government could have done that by buying the slaves, it was a necessary by-product of the genuine desire to stop an awful trade.

It is about time that white people stopped being made to feel responsible for something horrible that horrible white people did a long time ago.

Hexenbeest

Post by Hexenbeest »

If one can read the piece, they will also be able to see the picture of the writer. I also corrected Timoth in a post when he called the writer 'he' but that seems to have been ignored.

Yes the government DID line the slavers' pockets. As part of the agreement to release the slaves, the freed slaves still had to work for their former masters FOR FREE for at least four years.

"It is about time that white people stopped being made to feel responsible for something horrible that horrible white people did a long time ago."
Yes, if only a great many of them today would stop seeing non-whites and particularly blacks as unequal to them!
It isn't always a conscious in-your-face bias but it is there, it exists and if you're white you won't always see it.
We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.
William Ralph Inge

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

Yes the government DID line the slavers' pockets. As part of the agreement to release the slaves, the freed slaves still had to work for their former masters FOR FREE for at least four years.
Well I didn't know that and thank you for bringing it to my attention. But even that injustice was better than what went before wasn't it?
"It is about time that white people stopped being made to feel responsible for something horrible that horrible white people did a long time ago."
Yes, if only a great many of them today would stop seeing non-whites and particularly blacks as unequal to them!
It isn't always a conscious in-your-face bias but it is there, it exists and if you're white you won't always see it.
Well I am white, and I see it, but I don't need to feel that what others do and those that went before is my fault, specifically because of the colour of my skin. That is a form of racism itself isn't it?

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur »

Hexenbeest wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:39 pm

The writer is a she. I thought it was obvious going by her photo at the top of the piece.
Unless you're making an assumption :lol: I mean, do you actually know her preferred pronouns?

Hexenbeest wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:50 pm
... if only a great many [white people] ... today would stop seeing non-whites and particularly blacks as unequal to them!
But I'm going to have to take you up on your implicit claim that you're more woke than the rest of us. Disagreeing with you doesn't make one racist.
Last edited by Flaneur on Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Same old nonsense.

Hexenbeest

Post by Hexenbeest »

Has anyone pointed at you and blamed you directly for it? If not, why take it so personally?
We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.
William Ralph Inge

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur »

Hexenbeest wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:22 pm
Has anyone pointed at you and blamed you directly for it? If not, why take it so personally?
I'm afraid it was implicit in the response you wrote, which encompassed all white people.
Same old nonsense.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Hexenbeest wrote:
And that last sentence, particularly, is the fault of the press. It's not racism, or even discrimination, but subtle preconceptualising. There is a tendency among some, even many, white people to base their preconceptions of non-white people in their country on what they are shown by the hidden-agenda based media: fighting in Brixton, UK? It's the blacks who are shown; drug-dealing in the French cités? It's the blacks and the Arabs shown; grooming gangs in South Yorkshire, UK? It's the Pakistanis who are shown. It's as if there's an insidious strategy behind a lot of MSM reporting to show that those who are outside the law are not white, which is utterly wrong and dangerous.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Hexenbeest

Post by Hexenbeest »

Flaneur wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:20 pm
Hexenbeest wrote:
... if only a great many [white people] ... today would stop seeing non-whites and particularly blacks as unequal to them!
But I'm going to have to take you up on your implicit claim that you're more woke than the rest of us. Disagreeing with you doesn't make one racist.
Implicit claim? More woke? Where and when did I declare that?
And as for thinking someone is racist because they disagree with me - where on earth did you get that from?

Why exactly do you think these protests are happening if it wasn't for non-whites fed up of feeling they are treated as unequal by white people?

Being Kenyan-Asian I can list for you the times I've experienced racism, being chased by National Front thugs, being spat at, getting beaten up for no reason other than being non-white, where a white woman thought I was hospital cleaner............ AND I can list the times my parents experienced racism in Kenya and India. I can also list for you the times my grand parents experienced racism also in Kenya and India - ALL by the white British.
If that makes me 'woke' then good for me!

I can't say I hold no grudge but I don't go around pointing the finger at white people because they looked at me the wrong way. I do however take exception to people who get upset when they are reminded of the pain and cruelty their forefathers inflicted on other nations and try to whitewash it with 'yes but...'.
William Ralph Inge

jsks

Post by jsks »

Spardo wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:01 pm
Well I didn't know that and thank you for bringing it to my attention. But even that injustice was better than what went before wasn't it?
Well I am white, and I see it, but I don't need to feel that what others do and those that went before is my fault, specifically because of the colour of my skin. That is a form of racism itself isn't it?
But that's the point. It's not about you, it's about being an ethnic minority in a nation that still only pays lip service to the notion of equality based on ability and continues to glorify the white man's triumphs.

I've never heard anyone suggest that the sins of the white fathers be visited on the sons so a sense of faux-persecution and umbrage is not only ridiculous, it is unwarranted.

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur »

jsks wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:16 pm
[Britain is] a nation that still only pays lip service to the notion of equality based on ability and continues to glorify the white man's triumphs.
Is there a nation that behaves like that and has a true meritocracy, based on ability?

And is that a desirable thing? What do you do about people with Down's Syndrome, for example, if your worth is based on your ability (which is not exactly what you said, but which is often the effect).

I'm not sure, either, that we do much celebrating nowadays, do we? And perhaps never did, since that isn't really the British way.

(I'm all for learning about famous people's frailties - Churchill seems to be the current favourite whipping-boy - because it encourages us to accept that we're not all perfect.)

Hexenbeest, I got those ideas from the quotes from you which I used. I wouldn't lump all black people together as a homogeneous lump, and I don't think you should do it with white people. One of my friends is black Nigerian (don't worry, this isn't going to be "Some of my best friends are black"!) and thinks Donald Trump is the best thing since sliced bread. :o :roll: :lol:
Same old nonsense.