Abolition Of Slavery And Of The Trade Itself.

A place for some light-hearted chat.
wilbro

Re: Abolition Of Slavery And Of The Trade Itself.

Post by wilbro »

Upset? I don't think so. Just amused at some of the nonsense and silly prejudices that have been posted. :lol:

wilbro

Post by wilbro »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:34 pm
wilbro wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:35 pm
FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:06 pm
As a 57 year old, am I allowed to say that I largely disagree with your idea of "the most closed mindsets", in the context of this topic at least? It is the younger people, educated or not and ignorant or not, who have the more open and accepting attitude to the rainbow-mix of today's society, having grown up and alongside members of a society that was not their parents', and who accept the Africans, West Indians, Asians, Arabs, and all the variants thereof as the people they are, not part of the group that their colour lumps them in, the latter simply being an effect of nature.
I agree FFS with your point about acceptance but that wasn't the point I was making! I was talking about people who are not knowledgeable about the world, history etc. but prefer a sort of Disneylandish view of their environment which is limited to a small screen in front of their face. On being presented with the real world they tend to be a bit lost.

Also I did not mention ANY age groups in my post.
Read your own post again, wilbro. You said:
the most closed mindsets belong to the uneducated, ignorant younger people who don't have an appreciation of history, their environment or the ability to make up their own minds
You didn't simply mention "history etc", you added, "their environment or the ability to make up their own minds" and it was to the environment and their ability to make up their own minds that my reply was directed. To paraphrase a point lindal1000 made earlier, what reason do the younger generation have to care about history? Their time is now and the future.

As for your last line, "Also I did not mention ANY age groups in my post", what is "younger people" but an age group?
Quite right FFS but I had been referring to my post in which I said "But the problem now, and again I say this for Jackie's benefit-it applies to all ages, is that the latest gossip about footballers, pop stars, reality shows etc. on their smartphones is much more important to a lot of people than being a member of the real world"

But I think that the younger people are the less chance they have had of a proper all round education and also how many of the younger generation read books? (And I don't include Harry Potter in that!)

Jackie

Post by Jackie »

No don’t agree. I still stick with what I originally said. The certain type of person I was referring to is predominately white middle aged or older men.

Young people are generally more open to new ideas etc in my experience. You can be educated to the highest level possible but still have a closed mindset.

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle »

Had an English mate in France who has now moved back to England. 70ish and the biggest racist I have ever met. Telling me about a visit to GiFi once he told me that he'd asked a "nigger lass" about deliveries. Frequently banned off Facebook but always seems to get back on.
“Never argue with a know-it-all. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Jackie

Post by Jackie »

wilbro wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:18 am
Upset? I don't think so. Just amused at some of the nonsense and silly prejudices that have been posted. :lol:
There has also been a lot of nonsense posted I don’t find particularly amusing especially the attempts to downplay Britains culpability in the whole ghastly business.

wilbro

Post by wilbro »

"especially the attempts to downplay Britains culpability in the whole ghastly business." Can't say I particularly noticed that. I thought the comments were more general .

Timoth

Post by Timoth »

The debate nationally concerning Empire, and slavery been sadly polarized with little real discussion. As for trying to write off half the population because they are too fixed in their views, well😤

Ally

Post by Ally »

Half the population?

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

wilbro wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:49 pm
"especially the attempts to downplay Britains culpability in the whole ghastly business." Can't say I particularly noticed that. I thought the comments were more general .
Nor me, as a white, 77 year old British man I have been at the forefront here and elsewhere in decrying Britain's (and all other country's, and there have been many including the USA, Russia and China to mention non-Europeans) colonial and Empire building pasts and I will take no lectures as to my own personal culpability on that score.

I can't be bothered to trawl back through the thread to see if anyone has 'downplayed Britain's culpability' but if you can point me to some, Jackie, I will be the first to condemn them.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Has there ever been a time in the hsitory of man where empires were not built ultimately to founder and be replaced by others?

History may well recall the present time as being just that but is it simply a pause, the calm before the storm, is empire building not a part of human nature? It certainly is in the business world.

Could it be the the current empires are not colonial but that we are effectively ruled by a small group of very different dictators?

Will the current "influencers" become the dictators of the future, are many of us already being governed by dark or hidden forces? For that is exactly what has been claimed of certain election and referendum results.