Abolition Of Slavery And Of The Trade Itself.

A place for some light-hearted chat.
After the Storm

Re: Abolition Of Slavery And Of The Trade Itself.

Post by After the Storm »

Read your post LD which did include what you said at the end after the bit about your objection to the words used at the start of the article and it’s affect on you. I was interested in your response to Timoth but no mention of the word he used.

Mangetout

Post by Mangetout »

Any minute now I'm expecting someone to say ah, never mind it was of it's time. Like that makes it acceptable. Hitler was of his time, Rwanda was of it's time, Srebreninca was of it's time . And God forbid, so is Yemen. I'm old now and don't have the e energy to protest, but I say go go go to the young. Let's change this world once and for all.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Its deleted as well as the other one because I do not want to stifle debate or sidetrack it.

Hexenbeest

Post by Hexenbeest »

Timoth wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:31 pm
Some truth, some bullshit. It is a shame that he doesnt start at the beginning of slavery, though which goes back to Egyptian times and before, and which still goes on in parts of Africa and the Middle East. His urge is to smack Britain, which spoils his argument. He might also have mentioned Russia in Tsarist times and Stalin later.
But then so much of the debate is utterly polarised as a means to shaft Britain
That's quite a lot of whataboutery!

The point of her piece (it was a twitter thread unrolled) was the incorrect assumption that the British banned slavery. In order to prove her point she had to state what other countries / empires were doing about 'black' slavery at that time. There was no need to go back to the Year Dot.

If people just acknowledged the deep involvement the British had in black slavery instead of trying to whitewash or gloss over it with 'yes but we banned it' rubbish, we wouldn't need someone stepping up to correct them.

There's nothing wrong with being a patriot or even nationalist but own the atrocities the British committed on other nations and that the country was built off the backs of these atrocities.
Last edited by Hexenbeest on Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.
William Ralph Inge

Mangetout

Post by Mangetout »

Why try to dilute the evil by spreading it around. It was wrong, end of. I look at it like a row of terraced houses. All the doorsteps are dirty. Clean one, the rest will follow.

TriciaF

Post by TriciaF »

Those days of empire building by most european nations were for one reason - greed. Best example - S. Africa.
Thinking of the words of Rule Brittania, it dawned on me for the first time "Britain will never never never be slaves".
Though we were quite glad to make others into slaves.
Although things seem to have improved since then there's still a predominance of the 'aristocracy' here.
France has her own problems with her N Africa colonies so shouldn't be too smug.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

It's surely not a coincidence that the countries that thrived on and developed the slave trade - England, Spain, France, and Portugal, to name just 4 - were monarchies.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Jackie

Post by Jackie »

Mangetout wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:10 pm
Any minute now I'm expecting someone to say ah, never mind it was of it's time. Like that makes it acceptable. Hitler was of his time, Rwanda was of it's time, Srebreninca was of it's time . And God forbid, so is Yemen. I'm old now and don't have the e energy to protest, but I say go go go to the young. Let's change this world once and for all.
I think that was tried on the other thread. Actually slavery wasn’t actually universally accepted at the time. The Quakers were one example of the abolitionist movements of the time who helped slaves escape across the Canadian border. The book ‘Uncle Tom’s Cabin’ (which I would thoroughly recommend) was also instrumental in slavery’s demise.
Last edited by Jackie on Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tim17

Post by tim17 »

I visited Guadeloupe late last year and the contrast between the lives of the black and white populations was staggering, whilst the majority lived in buildings resembling shacks the minority white professionals (including our daughter) lived in large properties with pools. At times I'm not ashamed to say I felt uncomfortable, whilst slavery may have been legally abolished in the 1800's those born on the island are in reality stuck in poverty with little prospect of ever escaping, all the well paid jobs are taken by young French men and women who spend a few years enjoying beach life before returning to the mainland to continue their careers. If there is one thing the slave trading countries could do to make amends it would be to give the local populations hope of a better life through education, training and jobs.

b33jay

Post by b33jay »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:27 pm
It's surely not a coincidence that the countries that thrived on and developed the slave trade - England, Spain, France, and Portugal, to name just 4 - were monarchies.
African kingdoms existed where slave trading was widespread for centuries before the Europeans became involved..

Nobody volunteered to walk to the ports to be taken on board and landing parties from the trade ships were not large enough to capture large numbers of unwilling people for slavery.