Abolition Of Slavery And Of The Trade Itself.

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Hexenbeest

Abolition Of Slavery And Of The Trade Itself.

Post by Hexenbeest »

A brilliant (in my opinion anyway) piece with a timeline about slavery, the abolition of the slave trade and the abolition of slavery itself.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1269 ... 48929.html
We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.
William Ralph Inge

Le Démerdeur

Re: Abolition Of Slavery And Of The Trade Itself.

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Post vdeleted
Last edited by Le Démerdeur on Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Timoth

Post by Timoth »

Some truth, some bullshit. It is a shame that he doesnt start at the beginning of slavery, though which goes back to Egyptian times and before, and which still goes on in parts of Africa and the Middle East. His urge is to smack Britain, which spoils his argument. He might also have mentioned Russia in Tsarist times and Stalin later.
But then so much of the debate is utterly polarised as a means to shaft Britain

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Post deleted.
Last edited by Le Démerdeur on Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

b33jay

Post by b33jay »

Post removed.
:oops:
Having started with 'new posts' this thread came up first. I see there is another thread later that makes my comment superfluous
Last edited by b33jay on Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

Timoth wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:31 pm
Some truth, some bullshit. It is a shame that he doesnt start at the beginning of slavery, though which goes back to Egyptian times and before, and which still goes on in parts of Africa and the Middle East. His urge is to smack Britain, which spoils his argument. He might also have mentioned Russia in Tsarist times and Stalin later.
But then so much of the debate is utterly polarised as a means to shaft Britain
I am sitting waiting now to see whether LD is going to let us know if you talking about Britain being ‘shafted’’ spoils your post.

How can a debate be polarised given the degree and scale of involvement of the British in the slave trade?

After the Storm

Apparently not, it seems there are only certain words in everyday language that get a mention and shaft is not one of them.

Jackie

Post by Jackie »

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that when someone links an article that certain people don’t agree with instead of coming up with informed counter- arguments about the content they just criticise the standard of English and get antsy about bad language instead? This then just kills any debate and turns the thread into a tedious exercise of pedantry and nit-picking...

After the Storm

Jackie wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:54 pm
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that when someone links an article that certain people don’t agree with instead of coming up with informed counter- arguments about the content they just criticise the standard of English and get antsy about bad language instead? This then just kills any debate and turns the thread into a tedious exercise of pedantry and nit-picking...
:good:

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I have deleted my posts but would like to point out that I did not disagree with the article nor say anything to give the impression that I did. In fact I still do not know who wrote it and would like to.

Amongst what I deleted were the words "I did read it though and found it interesting"