Killing Eve - what do you reckon?

A place for some light-hearted chat.
CRAZY DIAMOND

Killing Eve - what do you reckon?

Post by CRAZY DIAMOND »

Okey dokey, what we were told was the final episode was shown last night, but we all know how sneaky the Beeb is, so another series is highly likely. I have to admit that whilst I enjoyed it, finding much of it ridiculously, violently hilarious, to be honest I didn't really have a clue who was a goody or a baddie, whose side the sinister Carolyn Martens was on, how mega scary Villanelle could so easily gain access places guarded by security personnel, whack someone then magically appear in say Eve's house within minutes, etc, etc - in short I didn't really have a clue what it was all about.
I appreciate the series has had glowing reviews from them what know, but can't help wondering if it's another case of the emperor's new clothes. Folk of my generation raved about Procul Harum's Whiter Shade of Pale, and Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody, but again what the hell were they all about? Do you reckon we enthuse about something because we think we oughta and don't want to be accused of being a philistine? On the other hand, some of you may have thoroughly enjoyed it and understood it all. Do tell.
Syd.
There is a sufficiency in the world for man’s need, but not for man’s greed.
Mahatma Gandhi.

Flaneur

Re: Killing Eve - what do you reckon?

Post by Flaneur »

Style over substance I think, Syd. Much easier to produce than a proper puzzle, and it's what the critics and public want.

I watched the first series and enjoyed it, in a way, but it seemed very shallow. Never mind the story, just look at the special effects.
Same old nonsense.

exile

Post by exile »

They ran out of ideas and concocted this last series based around little of substance.

manonthemoon

Post by manonthemoon »

I watched the first two series which I enjoyed, but towards the end of series 2 I felt it had lost the plot a bit so I haven't yet watched series 3.

I will do probably, when there is nothing else to watch.

whyme?

Post by whyme? »

Crazy Diamond wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:40 am

I appreciate the series has had glowing reviews from them what know, but can't help wondering if it's another case of the emperor's new clothes. Folk of my generation raved about Procul Harum's Whiter Shade of Pale, and Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody, but again what the hell were they all about? Do you reckon we enthuse about something because we think we oughta and don't want to be accused of being a philistine?
Syd.
Being a wannabe musician I rarely hear the words to a song as I'm more intent in listening to the way the 'tune' is put together.
The only complete set of lyrics I ever learnt was American Pie which probably everyone of that era did. Can't remember even half of 'em now. :roll:

tim17

Post by tim17 »

First series was the best (PWB was the writer) and it's gone downhill from there, series 4 already at the planning stage with a new writer etc.

Jackie

Post by Jackie »

First series was great, second was good but I’m finding the latest one tedious and have lost interest.

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

Well I'm with Syd, I think, I watched the first series for 2 or 3 episodes and struggled to get into it but, as I hate to give up on something in case it gets better, I determined to see it through. But then something else came along in opposition which I really wanted to watch and, not having a recording facility, left it for the new stuff.

Funny thing is though that I can't remember what the other thing was now, and felt a little cheated when I saw 'Eve' run to two more series.

Reading the above, I feel a little better about it all now.

I think it is on Britbox anyway now, but Britbox is good in parts, and very frustrating in others. :(

CRAZY DIAMOND

Post by CRAZY DIAMOND »

Strewth, I didn’t realise there’d been three series. Sounds like one and two weren’t as loopy as the last, but just how many people in total has Villanelle iced?
Syd.
There is a sufficiency in the world for man’s need, but not for man’s greed.
Mahatma Gandhi.

jsks

Post by jsks »

Crazy Diamond wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:43 pm
Strewth, I didn’t realise there’d been three series. Sounds like one and two weren’t as loopy as the last, but just how many people in total has Villanelle iced?
Syd.
Sounds like the beginning of one of Mysty's snowman jokes.