A place for some light-hearted chat.
Aardvark

Re: Petrol or diesel or ???

Post by Aardvark »

Flaneur wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:09 pm
Well I had no idea what you were talking about so I googled it
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/de ... id=1&pid=1
$32,400 Ripoff. It doesn't even have a radio.

Mine was a dark inky metallic blue.
41 Packard 110.jpg
Visit historic Barnard Castle. Lockdown day trips now available.

Lapourtaider

Post by Lapourtaider »

Starting to think about my next car, as my current diesel car is just on the verge of possibly starting to cost money. Will look to replace it with a hybrid, preferably one that can recharge whilst running on the petrol engine. I was surprised when I discovered that most hybrids don't do that, though there are now some coming out that do.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Will look to replace it with a hybrid, preferably one that can recharge whilst running on the petrol engine. I was surprised when I discovered that most hybrids don't do that, though there are now some coming out that do.
:shock: I thought all hybrids recharged their battery when running on their IC engine.

Hybrid and plug in hybrids will not escape congestion charges in the very near future and seem to have some significant disadvantages. You have to lug around a fairly heavy or very heavy and expensive battery. You still have to maintain and service some kind of fossil fuel engine and all its trappings. The only advantage of any sort of hybrid is that it extends the range of the vehicle.

Pure electric vehicles are surely the way forward in the near future and their range is increasing significantly all the time. I am also thinking of replacing my diesel car and am becoming more and more inclined to go for an EV. If you ever need to do a marathon journey you can always hire a conventional car.
“He who laughs last didn’t get the joke.”
– Charles de Gaulle

SW31girl

Post by SW31girl »

Well I’m in a different category to you lot!

I just need an automatic car for the next two to three years to get driving before being let lose on the OH’s fast car. I don’t care if it’s petrol or diesel,just that it’s very small and an auto. What matters to me is the monthly finance cost. I reckon there’s going to be some good deals as manufacturers will want to shift stock. I wanted a smart but they are now only selling electric.

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett

Lapourtaider

Post by Lapourtaider »

Tom wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:55 pm
The only advantage of any sort of hybrid is that it extends the range of the vehicle.
Precisely. I want to minimise pollution whilst driving in town, and have the ability to do the length of France (or longer). This is what I require for my future plans.

jollyjack

Post by jollyjack »

Has to be petrol. Performance and economy
My recently acquired Golf 1.4 auto is giving me almost 50mpg on short runs, and a range of almost 800 Km on a full tank. And it's fun to drive.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

jollyjack wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:49 am
Has to be petrol. Performance and economy
My recently acquired Golf 1.4 auto is giving me almost 50mpg on short runs, and a range of almost 800 Km on a full tank. And it's fun to drive.
I would have said the opposite for economy. 50 mpg is 5.6 litres/100 kms (the French method of calculating consumption) and our 2004 Peugeot 307 diesel achieves between 4 and 5 l/100 kms, but the 2017 petrol Citroen C4 Cactus averages between 5 and 6 l/100 kms.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

I haven't a clue what it is in metric but Lady Aardvark's 406 diesel estate can do a trip from northern Brittany to the Charente and back pulling a trailer and still have a quarter full tank. And that isn't a little buzz box with a choppy ride. It's comfy. Now that we're not doing that journey any more we only top up the tank about three times a year staying within Brittany.

And being a 19-year old thing parts are cheap on the internet and has minimal electronics so we spend nothing on garage repair bills.
Visit historic Barnard Castle. Lockdown day trips now available.

whyme?

Post by whyme? »

Aardvark wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:52 pm
I haven't a clue what it is in metric but Lady Aardvark's 406 diesel estate can do a trip from northern Brittany to the Charente and back pulling a trailer and still have a quarter full tank. And that isn't a little buzz box with a choppy ride. It's comfy. Now that we're not doing that journey any more we only top up the tank about three times a year staying within Brittany.

And being a 19-year old thing parts are cheap on the internet and has minimal electronics so we spend nothing on garage repair bills.
I think that'll have the same 2litre HDI engine as my old 1999 Pug 806 which still does about 5.5-6 litre/100 km (about 50mpg) on a run & it's about as aerodynamic as a brick.