Ally

Re: Fec Boris tee shirt you can be arrested for wearing one

Post by Ally »

The Public Order Act in operation.

Timoth

Post by Timoth »

Brilliant.
But it shows that the police are being obliged to respond to nonsense too. Surely though the traffic warden should not have been out anyway as they are not essential workers and should have been questioned by the police.
It also implies a growing gap between the police and the public in the attitude to policing, priorities, and a move away from what Elizabeth called Peelism (or something like that)

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

After the Storm wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:24 pm
:lol: their feccin loss then Ally

LD, what the bleep bleep have children's playgrounds got to do with anything? :innocent: :D Me, I'm not fazed by the proper words but I've bleeped bleeped my words for you :lol:

The thread is about the Public Order Act which was meant to help define the law regarding riots and possible violent behaviour. Another crap legacy from Thatcher's time. (I'm not sure if I should have bleeped the word 'crap' too :lol: )
From the F*ck Boris T-shirt site.
ssrco,unisex_tshirt,womens,dd2121_8219e99865,front,square_product,x600-bg,f8f8f8.u2.jpg
Visit historic Barnard Castle. Lockdown day trips now available.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

A section 5 Public Order Act offence doesn't need any violence or fear of violence, nor any incitement to violence, it just needs the prosecution to show that a person, a) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening or abusive and, b) that it was within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby.

In theory then, the t-shirt in question could cause distress to Mrs Miggins, but in practice I doubt it would ever get to court. Even then, it would only be a Magistrates' Court, where there is no jury but perhaps a greater risk of being convicted for such an offence, given that many magistrates are of a certain age and sensibility.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

You have put what I wanted to say much more succinctly FFS including the bit about magistrates court and the average age of the magistrates

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur »

Also - imagine you're walking in the park and a bunch of blokes start f-ing and blinding. Do you ignore it, or do you politely ask them to tone it down a bit?
Same old nonsense.

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:52 pm
A section 5 Public Order Act offence doesn't need any violence or fear of violence, nor any incitement to violence, it just needs the prosecution to show that a person, a) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening or abusive and, b) that it was within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby.

In theory then, the t-shirt in question could cause distress to Mrs Miggins, but in practice I doubt it would ever get to court. Even then, it would only be a Magistrates' Court, where there is no jury but perhaps a greater risk of being convicted for such an offence, given that many magistrates are of a certain age and sensibility.
Not all of Public Order Act is dealt with by magistrates courts I believe and from I spent a lot of time reading today, I disagree with you but I shall have to come back to you with the examples as to why but in the meantime I'll put up the screenshots again. It would be hard to prove why Mrs Muggins would feel harassed or alarmed or seriously distressed by a female wearing that T-shirt. I have been reading all the various points raised by the legal Lords this afternoon and they certainly were not proposing this clause to protect the hyper sensitive but specifically refer and give examples of such things as hooligans surrounding an Asian woman and being threatening and not someone wearing a T-shirt with what could describe perhaps as their political view.
05A6A9B0-2A8F-4FE4-A2A3-64E03A3A98B8.jpeg
AA5AFC46-89ED-4398-9B75-3449C5B576B2.jpeg

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Section 5 is summary and only tried in magistrates court. Other sections will be heard in Crown court but they are separate the more serious offences . I am opting out of this thread now because I think we are going in circles It is a thirty plus year old act times change and interpretations change ,case law comes into play etc

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur »

Flaneur wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:21 pm
Also - imagine you're walking in the park and a bunch of blokes start f-ing and blinding. Do you ignore it, or do you politely ask them to tone it down a bit?
AtS, it's only those offences carrying more than 6 months which can be tried in the Crown Court, so aggravated s. 4 or 4A offences and then of course affray (s. 3) and above.

But back to the original question. I'm sure it was a political opinion rather than a proposal, but what about my analogy?
Same old nonsense.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Flaneur wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:21 pm
If they were on their own and nobody else around to disturb then I'm ashamed to admit that in the UK at least I would now walk on by, if there were others in earshot, families children etc then I would try to say something but know from bitter experience that entitled youth who have never known any boundaries are likely to kick off and make the situation much worse.

In France from the young at least I get a much better reaction, they listen, they are not inhibited to put their point of view, they are respectfull and I do the same in return, it is generally a rewarding experience and one that rarely needs to happen.