Made in France

A place for some light-hearted chat.
mysty

Made in France

Post by mysty »

Not sure if anyone has noticed but more and more products whether biscuits or ham have made in France on them or these eggs are not only French but fed with French grain.
Is France going a little more nationalistic or has it always been like that.
I remember years ago in bricomarche, not sure which store as my memory is not that good.
The Frenchman in front of me asked which cement was made in France and that was the one he bought, even though it was not the cheapest.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

exile

Re: Made in France

Post by exile »

I suspect an element of not from some nasty foreign C19 infested country syndrome being played by the marketeers.
I see it at another level with fresh goods being described as being from the locality - and in some cases from the same departement would seem to be insufficient.

So for example grown in the val de ….. next valley along and far from infection - as opposed to grown in the departement where there might be a C19 hot spot elsewhere; or grown in France where there is a definite possibility of having been grown in (and handled by) a C19 area.

Timoth

Post by Timoth »

If you buy,say, an electrical appliance in a box showing Made in France, this is absolutely true. The box is made in France.
Beyond this, things like ham are sometimes labelled Transformé en France, but the basic pork comes from abroad.

exile

Post by exile »

The "made in" label has always been open for exploitation.
It was pointed out to me that at one stage Volvo could legitimately have labelled their cars "Made in the UK" due to the value of UK made components used in the assembly. Thanks goodness for them they never gave that a second thought.

RobertArthur

Post by RobertArthur »

Already 8 years ago, 2012, Arnaud Montebourg, minister Made in France. Fired in 2014 by president François Hollande. Arnaud didn't like reliable cars, even if many of them were designed and produced in Europe, something he failed to grasp when starting his defense of the French automotive industry.

Question from a French neighbour: Robert, why do you drive a Mitsubishi, there are no garages around. My question: did you ever ask yourself why French cars need so many garages?

bluebird

Post by bluebird »

Judging by many of the products in DIY and similar retail, there is either a just lot of substandard Chinese made crap on the shelves, or the French are in a 'race to the bottom' to compete with China on poor quality.

Crystal

Post by Crystal »

I think that in general most French do try to support their own and don't seem to mind paying more for locally produced products, but I have noticed a recent increase in 'locally produced' and "made in France" labels in the supermarkets recently.

That could be because since C19, we're all taking notice of where our fruit and veg originated.

...and for most of us, I'm sure that hand-picked tomatoes from Spain or Italy have lost their appeal recently...even if they are cheaper.

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur »

Yes, I think it's less chauvinism than enlightened self-interest.

It's difficult, though, for electrical items for example.
Same old nonsense.

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

RobertArthur wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:32 pm
Question from a French neighbour: Robert, why do you drive a Mitsubishi, there are no garages around. My question: did you ever ask yourself why French cars need so many garages?
Mirrors my father and Toyota - nearest garage is in Limoges I think - but it seldom goes there.

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

mysty wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:19 pm
Not sure if anyone has noticed but more and more products whether biscuits or ham have made in France on them or these eggs are not only French but fed with French grain.
French eggs are not all they're cracked up to be.