Dogs In Hot Cars

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Hexenbeest

Dogs In Hot Cars

Post by Hexenbeest »

My annual reminder to please be on the lookout for dogs in hot cars.

It's not always easy to remember when we're out and about, or to spot them especially if they're lying down but please try to keep it in mind - you would be saving a life.

I have already heard of one dog that has died, another unconscious and rushed to the vet's but I don't know the outcome yet.

Thank you.
We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.
William Ralph Inge

Veem

Re: Dogs In Hot Cars

Post by Veem »

Do you happen to know the current advice as to what to do for any dog in obvious distress in an overheated car?

I am more concerned about the action I should take in support of the dog, legal or not, than I am for the consequences of breaking some person's car window to save the dog's life. But it would be interesting to know the definitive legal implications. The only time I ever see dogs in overheated cars is in the supermarket car park when someone may have just popped in for one item (which is long enough for a dog to die depending on the temperature inside the car and the length of time the shopper takes). But they might be the sort of git who goes for a week's shopping, meets people they know and have to chat to, forgetting they have left a dog in the car in high summer temperatures ............. I haven't time to go looking for them or to hope they might hear a tannoy announcement.

Ally

Post by Ally »

If I ever made that mistake and left the dog in the car, a broken window would be away down there 👇 in my list of concerns.
I locked Sally and grandson number 1 in the car not knowing until then that the deadlocking couldn't be undone from the inside. I had to be paged in Mr Bricolage. They were really toiling by the time I arrived back.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Veem wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:15 pm
Do you happen to know the current advice as to what to do for any dog in obvious distress in an overheated car?
Here's one web page on the subject: http://www.fondationassistanceauxanimau ... oleil-399/, which includes this element of the code pénal:
Article 122-7 du code pénal -
« N’est pas pénalement responsable la personne qui, face à un danger actuel ou imminent qui menace elle-même, autrui ou un bien, accomplit un acte nécessaire à la sauvegarde de la personne ou du bien, sauf s’il y a disproportion entre les moyens employés et la gravité de la menace. »
From all that, I would make sure you have at least two witnesses, to the state of affairs before and your actions to rectify the situation.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle »

About 4 or 5 years ago I reported a dog in distress in a hot car to the person at the reception desk in LECLERCS, I also gave them the car make and number. However, no announcement was made.
“Never argue with a know-it-all. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Veem

Post by Veem »

I certainly wouldn't wait for two witnesses if no-one was about. I'd just do whatever I could to gain access to the dogs to get them out and forget about the consequences.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

One of the problems is that sometimes the dogs are, due to their distress, in such a state that they are barking and snarling at anyone who comes close - a lot of people mightn't be brave enough to break a window in those circumstances for fear of being bitten.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Catrose

Post by Catrose »

You just have to get air into the car.....Anyway if dog is growling and barking then probably not at final stages of heat exhaustion?

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

Catrose wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:05 pm
You just have to get air into the car.....Anyway if dog is growling and barking then probably not at final stages of heat exhaustion?
I don't think that is enough, shade is just as important. I once accepted criticism for leaving my dogs in the car with all windows open and parked in shade, because I appreciated someone caring enough to put out a call for us (we were not far away playing petanque and frequently checking), and brought them out to be with us without objection. Even though they were less happy tethered to a tree. :roll:

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

This is not a joke comment.

Would un animal de compagnie be classed as an autrui or un bien or possibly neither?

I ask because there are people round here that care infinitely more for their bagnoles than the dogs condemned to a life of mysery chained up and walking in their own excrement.

Its back to one genuine devoted dog owner walking his dog again as opposed to the hudred or so animals that saw life outside of the redius of their chain for a brief moment during the first stage of confinement.

To be fair those people would never take the dog with them in the car shopping so faced with the window breaking situation the owners would hopefully be more rational.