Flights and CV19, 12 passengers with the virus

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Plog

Re: Flights and CV19, 12 passengers with the virus

Post by Plog »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:45 pm
Plog, you speak of quurantine in a hôtel, is that an enforced requirement or because you dont have your own home there?
Good point - for me it's because I don't have a home there.

The actual wording I have seen is ".....travel to the location they intend to self isolate."

....and there doesn't seem to be a restriction as to where that is, so for example from, say, Heathrow I could take the Tube or TfL bus into London, then hop on a train, then hop off the train and get a taxi to " the location I intend to self isolate.."...

Stompie

Post by Stompie »

Plog wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:01 pm
Le Démerdeur wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:45 pm
Plog, you speak of quurantine in a hôtel, is that an enforced requirement or because you dont have your own home there?
Good point - for me it's because I don't have a home there.

The actual wording I have seen is ".....travel to the location they intend to self isolate."

....and there doesn't seem to be a restriction as to where that is, so for example from, say, Heathrow I could take the Tube or TfL bus into London, then hop on a train, then hop off the train and get a taxi to " the location I intend to self isolate.."...
Ye Gods, that makes it even more ludicrous. If I were to travel I'd be heading to North East Scotland. So really, it would be OK for me to drive about 1000km BEFORE quarantining?
That's beyond comprehension.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

And for me I have to go as a foot passenger which involves leaving the safe isolation that I have been confined to for 3 months taking 5 trains and mixing with people in 6 different stations followed by a lift or taxi ride.

Simply for my own protection its better for me to cycle to Dieppe over 2 days & sleep at the side of the road in a bivvi bag, get the ferry to Newhaven if they dont cancel it when I arrive & then cycle from there to nr Gatwick.

Returning with the vehicle by Eurotunnel should be exposure free.

2 lots of quarantine will kill it dead.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

mysty wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:31 am
Not many Pritti Patel fans on here but she may have got it right with the 14 day quarantine. 12 people on one flight had the virus. I think the figure will be higher l cannot see how you can be on a plane and not get it with a bog standard face mask.
Personally I think it's too early for flights.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... tar-flight
An interesting question is what test(s) do they have at the airport in Athens to come up with such a definitive result so quickly? And what are the protocols they are using? If all airports copied that system and immediately quarantined at or near the airport, the risks would surely be limited.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

Apparaently they have a solution for the three or four trips on public transport from airport to home (hotel).

Face covering - not a proper face mask or PPE - but something you can make at home.

Where is Valerie Singleton - this sounds like an ideal project for Blue Peter.

jsks

Post by jsks »

niemeyjt wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:25 pm
Apparaently they have a solution for the three or four trips on public transport from airport to home (hotel).

Face covering - not a proper face mask or PPE - but something you can make at home.

Where is Valerie Singleton - this sounds like an ideal project for Blue Peter.
And sort of typifies the play it by ear, amateur, let's not think this through too deeply attitude we've come to expect from the Supermen in Downing Street,

Plog

Post by Plog »

jsks wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:37 pm
And sort of typifies the play it by ear, amateur, let's not think this through too deeply attitude we've come to expect from the Supermen in Downing Street,
On the subject of really not thinking this through I forgot to mention earlier the "Dublin dodge"..I'm not sure if that loophole has been plugged yet but it might be worth investigating by those needing to get to the UK from France and not wanting to get clobbered by quarantine...

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-n ... s-22084803

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 29976.html

Please note I am not suggesting people break the rules, just suggesting they play by the rules;.. ;)

jsks

Post by jsks »

Yep. That British border on the island of Ireland is a hoot, isn't it? Shame it's coming back again.

Plog

Post by Plog »

jsks wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:35 pm
Yep. That British border on the island of Ireland is a hoot, isn't it? Shame it's coming back again.
True..

I think the general feeling is this whole quarantine idea, now, for arrivals is nonsense.

One can only imagine somewhere behind the scenes somebody thinks it's a good political idea/ will still play well with a section of the electorate who are still looking for any excuse to "build a wall" but of course have no intention of complying with quarantine when they come back off their possibly belated summer holidays..because they perhaps think it only applies to foreigners...

I still think there's a greater than 50% chance that some "science" will suddenly shockingly be revealed in the next few days that means idea will be dropped or modified to the point of being meaningless by 8th June..

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Is it the 8th of June that its supposed to be happening?

In my mind it was the 15th & I have been planning around the 10th, cant concretise the plans so its probably irrelevant anyway.