Flights and CV19, 12 passengers with the virus

A place for some light-hearted chat.
mysty

Flights and CV19, 12 passengers with the virus

Post by mysty »

Not many Pritti Patel fans on here but she may have got it right with the 14 day quarantine. 12 people on one flight had the virus. I think the figure will be higher l cannot see how you can be on a plane and not get it with a bog standard face mask.
Personally I think it's too early for flights.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... tar-flight
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Gardengirl

Re: Flights and CV19, 12 passengers with the virus

Post by Gardengirl »

I agree, Mysty, far too soon to restore flights. Nothing would get me on a plane this year.

I’m impressed with how well Greece has dealt with this pandemic generally and it seems to be continuing to handle it well. As tourism plays such an important part in their economy, it seems they are trying a sensible way of handling things while trying hard to keep their economy afloat. .

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

I think Pritti has it wrong for several reasons -

1) the example above shows that it is too early for flights - period. This was a Qatar flight - so my guess is many of those infected had used Doha as a hub - chatting with my former colleagues in Doha the residents are seriously locked in - trips to shops and pharmacies only - not even a daily walk allowed.

2. the proposals for "air corridors" will allow people to use supposedly safe airports as hubs and avoid quarantine theyeby bypassing the quarantine.

3. the loopholes are crazy and non-sensical - I recon I will probably able to claim an exemption on one of the categories - and many are for economic rather than medical reasons.

4. the quarantine is required for safer modes of transport - such as single passenger in car on eurotunnel - where risk is low.

exile

Post by exile »

and as for the idea of "air bridges" so that people can go on holiday and return from countries with similar infection levels...……………….

Don't these fecking idiots realise that the UK is up with the worst - happy holidays in Russia, The USA, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Brazil

Stompie

Post by Stompie »

exile wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:58 am
and as for the idea of "air bridges" so that people can go on holiday and return from countries with similar infection levels...……………….

Don't these fecking idiots realise that the UK is up with the worst - happy holidays in Russia, The USA, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Brazil
That's exactly what I was thinking!

Why on earth haven't the quarantine rules been in force since the beginning of the crisis?

Plog

Post by Plog »

the loopholes are crazy and non-sensical
Some of the specific rules for essential workers caught up in this are absolutely bizarre...as it stands:

Day one I will be able fly to the UK as a passenger...but must immediately go into 14 day quarantine in a B&B/hotel (can use public transport to get there and possibly go via a supermarket to stock up).

On day two - in work "mode" I am allowed into the company offices/simulator. with no restrictions on who I meet... but after work I have to go back into quarantine..

Day three, I can go back to the airport, "work" to say, New York, a night there, fly cargo back, or a Sao Paulo and back (cargo again) with 48 hours on the ground there. :shock: ...and arrive in the UK as a worker ....and lo, the requirement for any further quarantine is cancelled. The 14 days quarantine triggered by the arrival into the UK on day one is cancelled, I'm free to go.

Even a day return trip to Paris as a "worker" cancels the quarantine requirement on arrival back in the UK. That is you can "passenger" in from Paris on day one, start 14 day quarantine..on day two do a short haul Paris day trip and that cancels any quarantine requirement..you don't go back into quarantine.

It's absolutely barking, it's nonsense, and worse of all it is being implemented ( if it actually is, and I have my doubts) far too late.

All being done for show IMHO....

AmandaJ

Post by AmandaJ »

I agree completely Plog.

I've not been able to get to my office in England (where I'm the only worker) since March. I usually fly back each month. It's not been a problem because fortunately this is the quietest time of year for me.
In order to check that the office is still actually there and see if there is any post I've booked to travel back by car & ferry at the end of June - far safer than flying at the moment I would assume as I've been hibernating in rural Limousin and will drive back all by myself with very little interaction on the way.
As things stand I would have to quarantine for 14 days before I can go in to my office as I'm not classified as essential (unless people paying their tax suddenly becomes important :D ) and I don't travel back every week.

If they don't relax the quarantine before for my trip I'll just delay it a bit longer so I'm only complaining about how illogical it is :shock:

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I am another one needing to visit the UK ASAP and am watching this with interest.

Plog, you speak of quurantine in a hôtel, is that an enforced requirement or because you dont have your own home there?

Thinking it through if you were staying with family etc I can see the logic but I will be alone in my own property.

Trouble is I will need to arrange visits for energy surveys, gas and electric certificates etc but that will be the main house and I will be staying in the annexe which is currently called Woolover but I am changing the name to Cummings Retreat!

Dont get me wrong I think quarantine is essential but should be done properly and should have been done long ago and not wait another 2 weeks. I do hope that France and other countries put in place robust reciprocal measures to protect their citizens.

jsks

Post by jsks »

It's a knee-jerk response intended to show strength and competence whereas it's 3 months too late and futile. Don't let this sort of ill-thought-out grandstanding detract from the shockingly inept 'management' of the past 3 months.

Its also based on the notion that abroad is dirty and we don't want that nastiness in the world's most exceptional nation.

What a crock of horseshit.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Still cant work out why it should have been announced, which in the UK is little more than waffle about, a month before implementation.

The initial lockdown was far further reaching and was in place in 24 hours, its not as if there was any more than a trickle of people entering the UK when it was waffled about, OK give some notice but no more than a week.