Birdies are dissapearing in France

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
bluehighway

Re: Birdies are dissapearing in France

Post by bluehighway »

TriciaF

Post by TriciaF »

In our last years in the Gers I noticed that the black redstarts disappeared - we used to have many of them them nesting in our attic. But still plenty of sparrows sharing the grain for the chickens.
And we used to have the occasional golden oriole - that ended.
Midwife toads went. And other frogs in our pond.
Bats became fewer - during their evening flights.
Fireflies - 10 years ago there were always a few after dark, but recently, none. There's a french research project about it.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

When I moved hereI remarked how sad and spooky it was that there was not a single bird to be seen or heard anywhere despite the novel "Birdsong" being written about this area, I only experienced a place like it once before on an all wheel drive club event at Clapham woods in Sussex, someone remarked how un-natural it was and on realising it felt really spooky.

Gradually the birds returned here, so gradually I did not really notice but 3 years ago I had a real problem with house sparrows that were reproducing several times a year, the place became noisy, dirty and their noise really got to me, I tried trapping with little success.

That year when the recot was going on and the grain falling from the trailers on their way to the silo the roads were covered with a continous carpet of feeding birds, then last year after I had had delivered the most expensive sparrow trap in the world from the USA there was not a single bird to be seen of any species, not a single one, and that was true of anywhere that I ran or trekked in a 20 mile radius of here, I mentioned it to locals and most had not even realised.

This year all the usual species are back probably not as numerous as 2 years ago but in significant numbers, their absence especially the no migratory species like the house sparrows who remain within IIRC a radius of a few miles from where they are born is baffling to me.

Even though the sparrows have returned they no longer nest on my property (I have blocked all the holes I hope) and very few even roost, not one has gone near the trap, the few I caught 2 years ago I relocated several miles away.

The bird population at my UK home has always been constant.

vic evans

Post by vic evans »

We had 2 pairs of swallows started rebuilding their usual nests in an outbuilding & now they've disappeared.
The 2 families of Buzzards that hunted over our field are down to 2 lone birds & I haven't seen a Kestrel or Sparrow Hawk for ages.
At dusk the number of toads that frequent our garden are down, hedgehogs are non- existent & it's rare to see a bat these days.
All this change in the course of a year or so.
It's getting scary.

Edited for rubbish spelling .
Last edited by vic evans on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 »

Sitting here with the window open - dark (deep dusk) bridies are still singing - there are more this year and we have seem some house martins flying at dusk - didnt see any last year so hopefully all the songbirds are coming back to us. :good:
The truth is always the truth even if no-one believes it - a lie is always a lie even if everyone believes it

crakpot

Post by crakpot »

These obvious observations ,lack of water.a lack of food, decline in species, global warming, air pollution .lack of homes, health costs. migration, wars etc are due to the massive human population
Its about time all humans could just replicate them selves once, in due course with natural illnesses the population would reduce but with mothers having more than two with each partner the world is doomed, do I care ? not really I will not be around but the shit big time will hit the fan shortly and it will be irreversible
Companies and governments bang on about increases on this that and the other every day, phoque (in french translation phonetically for seal)its just about money

the cost

pomme homme

Post by pomme homme »

Not around here!
Attachments
P1270360 - Copy.JPG
P1270360 - Copy.JPG (154.23 KiB) Viewed 530 times

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Ahhh Bless!! :D :D

Spotty

Post by Spotty »

Birdies in a bun dance here, shoot more cats ;)

m\arycrt

Post by m\arycrt »

I have a pair of kestrels in the wall of the house and have managed to fit up a live webcam. I feel honoured. There are six eggs - which suggests plentiful food around here. I'm close to the Gironde estuary. When (if) the eggs hatch I'll add more to my Youtube webcam extracts. I must admit to being rather proud of the videos...
Has anyone had successful kestrel families in their property? Please keep your fingers crossed for us. They are such beautiful and patient birds.