Birdies are dissapearing in France

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
Gardengirl

Re: Birdies are dissapearing in France

Post by Gardengirl »

cj1 wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 8:47 pm
The thing that we've noticed over the last ten or twenty years is the lack of insects. It used to be that if we drove a reasonable distance in summer, the windscreen would be completely spattered in dead insects, but now there are hardly any. It can't be good for bird populations or the planet generally.
We’ve noted the lack of dead insects on our windscreens too.

However, at our apartment in the Gard we’ve been surprised to see and hear many more birds in the last couple of years than in the first 8 years.

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

No JSKS but there isa lot of them and they eat insects and flied lice..

crakpot

Post by crakpot »

Nifty wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 8:10 pm
Not just birds, not just France. All spices have waxed and waned.
" All spices "" Chilli is still just as hot

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

Nifty has no problem with corruption of language :) or anything else.
Not as hot as these

SW31girl

Post by SW31girl »

Ahah, that explains why so many birds are flying into my chicken enclosure, eating some chicken feed and then flying back out and telling all their mates. We have an expanding colony of birds living just below our roof tiles; they didn’t move during winter and I can see why - food on tap and warm house!

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett

pomme homme

Post by pomme homme »

Nifty wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 9:39 pm
pomme homme wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 9:12 pm
Save the insects. Ban the birds from eating them!
What to do about the Chinese ?
I didn't know the birds were eating them - unless it's Chinese zoroastrians to whom you are referring!

hez

Post by hez »

They are doing just fine round here. Birds and insects. The insects I could do without though.

parsnips

Post by parsnips »

Hi,
It's not just birds , all smaller insect -eaters , like amphibians , reptiles and small mammals seem to be rapidly diminishing. In 25 years in the same , very rural area , without intensive agriculture, I have noticed a massive reduction in reptile (my particular interest)numbers; counting the numbers squashed on the roads has been a quite reliable number check - this year I have seen none up to now . 25 years ago flattened snakes were a very common sight. No doubt some joker will come on to say -"good job too" , but these phenomena signal a general and extremely serious decline in the health of the planet which is already affecting humans - droughts, resistant diseases, water shortages, desertification and the pollution of the oceans etc. Some of these are not necessarily our fault but the over-use of pesticides which is steadily destroying the basic stock of insect food for all the animal life , is down to us. The ultimate cause of most of this planet's ills is simply -too many people.

lindal1000

Post by lindal1000 »

This year the orchids have been superb..plenty of butterflies, but hardly any bees, despite having several hives nearby. Beekeepers report losing many colonies this year. No hirondelles yet either. A few hoopoes...No milipeeds either..

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 »

We have had less song birds over the last few years, although this year there seem to be more and more nesting - good. We live opposite woods.

We get lots of butterflies cause we have planted certain things to attrack them. We have also put up an insect house - that seems to have worked as we have some bees living in it and going in to our flowers.
The truth is always the truth even if no-one believes it - a lie is always a lie even if everyone believes it