3. I have never broken the speed limit.
4%

Total votes: 27

Lapourtaider

Re: Cars, speeding and safety .

Post by Lapourtaider »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:15 pm
I wonder if you're mixing your speeds, Spardo, 200kph is only 120mph, which on a clear autoroute in fine conditions with a good driver is not an excessive speed; fast, yes, but not excessively so, in the right conditions.
I'm with spardo on this one (who I believe is or at least was an experienced HGV driver and therefore extremely unlikely to be confusing kph and mph). 200kph on an autobhan is never a safe speed, unless the right conditions is an autobhan closed to all other road traffic

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

I wonder if you're mixing your speeds, Spardo, 200kph is only 120mph, which on a clear autoroute in fine conditions with a good driver is not an excessive speed; fast, yes, but not excessively so, in the right conditions.
Oh dear, we have to end this, we are not going to agree. I understand perfectly the difference betrween kms and miles, remember, unlike many here, I have been using kms since the 70s or whenever it was tachographs first came in, they were never in mph. For many years now whenever I see miles mentioned I have to convert back to kms, not the other way.

And I will never agree that a possible stopping distance of up to half a kilometre on a road which allows other vehicles doing only 66km/hr to be on, is safe.

It is all about closing speeds.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

If you're doing 200kph and you see a vehicle in front of you, whatever its possible speed, you adapt your speed and driving. There are some HGV drivers who, because they spend lots of time on the road, think they are good drivers and know all there is to know about driving appropriately, when in fact they are just as capable as car drivers at being hoons who endanger the lives of other road users. Not you, Spardo, but there are others out there, and you can't deny it.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

exile

Post by exile »

Spardo wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:54 pm
Oh dear, we have to end this, we are not going to agree. I understand perfectly the difference betrween kms and miles, remember, unlike many here, I have been using kms since the 70s or whenever it was tachographs first came in, they were never in mph. For many years now whenever I see miles mentioned I have to convert back to kms, not the other way.

And I will never agree that a possible stopping distance of up to half a kilometre on a road which allows other vehicles doing only 66km/hr to be on, is safe.

It is all about closing speeds.
David
we have already fallen out over this subject but I am going to politely suggest that if it is likely to take half a kilometre to stop from 200kph, either the vehicle should not be on the road
or
the road conditions are such that you should not be driving anywhere close to 200kph

The DVLA formula for stopping distance suggests that you should be able to stop from 200kph in under 256m. This implies a vehicle with brakes and tyres in good order and on a dry surface.

As for closing distance between a 66kph vehicle and a 200kph - on a motorway that closing distance is 134kph about the same as the closing speed of a legally driven car on a French autoroute and a bridge abutment. Off course, if one of you is driving in the wrong direction then that argument fails. You should of course be prepared for that and hence the comment that as soon as another vehicle comes into view you adjust your speed is very relevant.

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

As I said,
Oh dear, we have to end this, we are not going to agree.
we could argue state of mind, state of eyesight, state of reaction times, till the cows come home, but we will never convince each other.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Spardo wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:36 pm
As I said,
Oh dear, we have to end this, we are not going to agree.
we could argue state of mind, state of eyesight, state of reaction times, till the cows come home, but we will never convince each other.
Possibly because one of us is wrong and the others are right and the former doesn't want to accept the latter? ;)
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen