2. Why not if the autoroutes empty.
59%
3. I have never broken the speed limit.
4%

Total votes: 27

mysty

Cars, speeding and safety .

Post by mysty »

Apparently some people have been speeding during lockdown Britain and France.
Why build standard cars that can easily clock 180/250 klms per hour if it's illegal.
I got overtaken on the autoroute a couple of days ago by a Suzuki swift with twin exhausts, I know he was doing at least 160.
Personally I do not have an issue on an empty autoroute if someone speeds although I do not.
The autoroute from Ussel to Brive is very quiet until you join the traffic near Brive.
I did get home quicker yesterday being in my car rather than the van but I was not speeding, maybe it just felt faster. :P
Time for a poll.

Article from skynews

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... s-11998936
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Flaneur

Re: Cars, speeding and safety .

Post by Flaneur »

I suppose I take a Cummings attitude to this: I don't think we should, but on occasion I do it, though TBH quite rarely now, and never at silly speeds.

As mysty says, cars are built to go faster, and they're better-built and safer too. But I wouldn't want a free-for-all.
Same old nonsense.

jsks

Post by jsks »

The derestricted sections of Autobahn in Germany can be a bit off-putting at first but you soon get used to 200kph mercs, BMs etc coming by. The most obvious thing is that people keep to the inside lane unless overtaking. You don't get people dawdling along at 130 kph in the outer lanes.

I had borrowed a Porsche 911 one day and took the opportunity to open it up on a long stretch of straight autobahn. At 250 kph I passed a Polizei tootling along in the inside lane. I felt remarkably guilty but he wasn't interested. Seemed weird.

So there is a time and place.

Ally

Post by Ally »

Cars are safer and built to go faster, but unfortunately it's still the same pea brained drivers at the wheel treating other road users with contempt.

Annabelle's Papa

Post by Annabelle's Papa »

Sat outside enjoying the cool night air last night in rural Worcestershire, lovely apart from the sound of boy racers and motorbikes tearing up and down in the distance, as we are effectively in curfew, there are some that seem it ok to race around, especially at night.

The new range of Volvo's will have the ability to restrict the speed of the car depending on who is driving, so a Dad might let his son borrow his car but restrict it not to go above 70 mph, makes sense really and will keep insurance premiums lower.
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

Stompie

Post by Stompie »

I very rarely break the speed limit these days, I think last time was briefly while overtaking.

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle »

The main trouble to me, as well as speedsters, are the folk who don't use the appropriate speed for the conditions. When I was learning to drive one failure point on the test was "not making adequate progress". I can be travelling on good A class roads with good lines of sight, bright sunlight and 60 mph limit but invariably catch up with someone doing 40mph. Most folk on the other hand don't understand that speed limits are just that, not a challenge.
“Never argue with a know-it-all. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

b33jay

Post by b33jay »

Reports of many more travelling at high speeds in the UK. My local roads policing unit has caught several at between 100 mph and 141 mph in 70 mph non-motorway limits as well as many doing 15/20 mph above lower limits. Those with no licence and/or no insurance are also on the increase.

scroll through https://tinyurl.com/y8rgsnag

b33jay

Post by b33jay »

Bald Eagle wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:25 pm
The main trouble to me, as well as speedsters, are the folk who don't use the appropriate speed for the conditions. When I was learning to drive one failure point on the test was "not making adequate progress". I can be travelling on good A class roads with good lines of sight, bright sunlight and 60 mph limit but invariably catch up with someone doing 40mph. Most folk on the other hand don't understand that speed limits are just that, not a challenge.
What's wrong with doing 40 in a 60? :?

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

b33jay wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:37 pm
Reports of many more travelling at high speeds in the UK. My local roads policing unit has caught several at between 100 mph and 141 mph in 70 mph non-motorway limits as well as many doing 15/20 mph above lower limits. Those with no licence and/or no insurance are also on the increase.

scroll through https://tinyurl.com/y8rgsnag
Yes happening a lot in Lancashire as well. I believe the county lines drugs operations have been suffering as with less traffic the vehicles stand out more