Dragon about to dock with ISS

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Nifty

Re: Dragon about to dock with ISS

Post by Nifty »

manonthemoon wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:21 am
For anyone who lives within 3 hours from Bordeaux, the ISS is visible tonight

Time: Tue Jun 02 10:26 PM, Visible: 5 min, Max Height: 41°, Appears: 24° above W, Disappears: 10° above SSE

Enjoy!
On time.
Clear sighting.
Thanks for the heads-up :good:

How long does it take to orbit Earth?

Biggles

Post by Biggles »

94 point something minutes Nifty - 16 sunrises and sunsets a day!
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." — Mark Twain

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I love watching the ISS fly over I have a lovely memory of watching it one Christmas Eve and the kids next door were out and convinced it was Father Christmas

Ally

Post by Ally »

bluebird wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:01 am
You'd never guess that the world economy is on it's knees.....
The question I always ask when they spend billions on space projects ... will it cure cancer?

bluebird

Post by bluebird »

SP1DER wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:46 am
Musk started his career as a transfer student from Canada after settling there originally from South Africa. In my opinion he is one of the greatest entrepreneurs of all time. His worth is around $20 billion, absolutely stupid amount of money but look what it has allowed him to do. Our next great adventure is space exploration. I doubt man would get back to the moon if it were not for private enterprise and I look forward to seeing that happen in my lifetime.
I'm not a fan of Musk and I think most folk realise that to gain that type of wealth, you will have shafted a few people along the way. My question, what is the purpose of spending billions on traveling to the moon? What are the aims and likely outcomes of the project? The world is in a truly desperate place and it's time the billionaires who made money with a big helping hand from government (who favour those who are already wealthy) put their billions to better use. It's 2020 and to have a world where a privileged few share obscene wealth, while millions are in abject poverty is a disgrace. IMO

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

Ally wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:52 pm
bluebird wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:01 am
You'd never guess that the world economy is on it's knees.....
The question I always ask when they spend billions on space projects ... will it cure cancer?
Wa’d,yuh wanna go doing that for ? There are more than enough people already !

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

Plog

Post by Plog »

Ally wrote:
The other question is is X million is not spent on space projects will it directly be spent on cancer research instead? I think the answer is pobably no.

.The money spent on R&D for, e.g. one of Musk projects doesn't just end up benefitting that project, it ends up often as not having benefits in other fields and medicine has benefitted greatly from "spin offs" from space programs.

Just one example - if you look at medical imaging you'll see a lot of the detector technology and the image processing techniques originated at places like NASA..one example here

https://spinoff.nasa.gov/database/spino ... SFC-SO-188

As someone who has had a run in with C and has benefitted from such technology I don't have an issue with money going into the likes of spaceflight.

https://spinoff.nasa.gov/

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

‘ As someone who has had a run in with C and has benefitted from such technology I don't have into an issue with money going into the likes of spaceflight. ‘

Me also. On two separate occasions. Although, I am not certain about the imaging technology used being linked to space technology.

Come to think on it, one technique known in France as Saturn 10, probably has more to do with nuclear technology. I have never looked into it but it seemed extremely complex.

Plog

Post by Plog »

Nifty wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:37 am
‘Come to think on it, one technique known in France as Saturn 10, probably has more to do with nuclear technology. I have never looked into it but it seemed extremely complex.
Quite possibly...there’s a lot of overlap between most of the high end technologies, research in one field (e.g. nuclear) quite often has an impact on work in another (medicine) ....

That’s why IMHO it is slightly flawed to say spending money in one area of R&D is a waste or automatically leads to slowing of development in another field.

Then again we’ve been having this argument since the 1960s, Apollo, etc and yet many people now would be lost (literally) without GPS, satellite telecommunications, “high speed” computing, etc etc etc etc.......

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

Plog wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:14 am
Ally wrote:
The other question is is X million is not spent on space projects will it directly be spent on cancer research instead? I think the answer is pobably no.

.The money spent on R&D for, e.g. one of Musk projects doesn't just end up benefitting that project, it ends up often as not having benefits in other fields and medicine has benefitted greatly from "spin offs" from space programs.

Just one example - if you look at medical imaging you'll see a lot of the detector technology and the image processing techniques originated at places like NASA..one example here

https://spinoff.nasa.gov/database/spino ... SFC-SO-188

As someone who has had a run in with C and has benefitted from such technology I don't have an issue with money going into the likes of spaceflight.

https://spinoff.nasa.gov/
I remember many moons ago arguing that point with Bentley on FE, I was very much pro NASA and listed all if the various benefits realised indirectly. However, I would lying if I did not admit to not having feelings of reservations about the involvement of private capital and what that will mean regarding the direction of future scientific endeavours.