Dragon about to dock with ISS

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Elizabeth

Re: Dragon about to dock with ISS

Post by Elizabeth »

I was born in 1962 so some of my earliest memories are of the MSP and the Apollo missions I could never understand why we did so much so quickly and then nothing ,if it has to be private enterprise so be it

elsie

Post by elsie »

Elizabeth wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:54 am
I was born in 1962 so some of my earliest memories are of the MSP and the Apollo missions I could never understand why we did so much so quickly and then nothing ,if it has to be private enterprise so be it
see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_choose ... o_the_Moon The Americans thought they were losing the space race to the Russians after the Russians had launched the first satellite and put the first man in space. In 1961 Kennedy promised a man on the moon and back safely by the end of the decade. But it was very much a prestige project with no ongoing plans. Landing robots on the moon was a more cost-effective.

manonthemoon

Post by manonthemoon »

For anyone who lives within 3 hours from Bordeaux, the ISS is visible tonight

Time: Tue Jun 02 10:26 PM, Visible: 5 min, Max Height: 41°, Appears: 24° above W, Disappears: 10° above SSE

Enjoy!

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

After the Storm wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:19 am
My personal opinion is that there is now going to be a new galactic elite, building rockets for the rich to leave the planet one day that they destroyed, just like in the movie. :shock: :) (not sure whether to actually add the small smile there).
No one takes up my idea so I went looking to see if anyone else shared my opinion, yep, I’m not alone after all :D https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... cape-earth
The billionaires aren’t spending all this money for the good of mankind.

elsie

Post by elsie »

manonthemoon wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:21 am
For anyone who lives within 3 hours from Bordeaux, the ISS is visible tonight

Time: Tue Jun 02 10:26 PM, Visible: 5 min, Max Height: 41°, Appears: 24° above W, Disappears: 10° above SSE

Enjoy!
Reasonably easy to photograph the track as well if you have a tripod and can do long exposures. I was trying out an old lens using an adapter on my camera 18 May (set at the equiv of 20mm on a 35mm lens) f/10.0 332.6 seconds ISO 100 which has an angle of view of about 95°. In the past I've used a fisheye lens on a different camera so got a near 180° (blocked by trees on the horizon)
ISS-2020-05-18.jpg
There are several apps and web pages which gives upcoming times when you can see the ISS, position in the sky and time it is visible at your location; this is NASA https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/ This is the last time it will be visible for at least a week and is low in the sky. It is usually visible near overhead sometime during the two week or so visibility periods.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

After the Storm wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:32 am
After the Storm wrote:
My personal opinion is that there is now going to be a new galactic elite, building rockets for the rich to leave the planet one day that they destroyed, just like in the movie. :shock: :) (not sure whether to actually add the small smile there).
No one takes up my idea so I went looking to see if anyone else shared my opinion, yep, I’m not alone after all :D https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... cape-earth
Have you read Stark, by Ben Elton? Worth finding a copy.

Why all this money spent on space? We've got millions of cubic kilometres of seas on THIS planet which are unexplored and potential sources of future benefits to society, why not go there?
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Timoth

Post by Timoth »

FFS, research is not lockstep. If it were there would be no progress. We need the Galileos, the Newtons, the Columbuses, the Stephensons, the Henry Fords, the Musks..... they move humanity onwards and forwards, admittedly in leaps and bounds. If not, we would still be in the Dark Ages with priests telling us what to think and what not to do.

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:42 pm
After the Storm wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:32 am
After the Storm wrote:
Have you read Stark, by Ben Elton? Worth finding a copy.

Why all this money spent on space? We've got millions of cubic kilometres of seas on THIS planet which are unexplored and potential sources of future benefits to society, why not go there?
No I haven’t read the book, will take a look, thanks.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

I agree, but we haven't finished discovering all there is to know about our own planet yet.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Timoth

Post by Timoth »

As I say, research is not lockstep.