Your best car

A place for some light-hearted chat.
curtis

Re: Your best car

Post by curtis »

Flaneur wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:13 am
Maybe there are several sorts of car owners. You, Tom, like your old MG. I would be thinking how difficult it would be to maintain.
That's the beauty of older cars. You can get at them. Most parts are available, or you can have something made.
I can work on all of mine and enjoy so doing. The two moderns are left to the garage. Even for an oil change.
Drive fast, attract the Police. Drive faster, attract sponsors.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

curtis wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:39 pm
Flaneur wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:13 am
Maybe there are several sorts of car owners. You, Tom, like your old MG. I would be thinking how difficult it would be to maintain.
That's the beauty of older cars. You can get at them. Most parts are available, or you can have something made.
I can work on all of mine and enjoy so doing. The two moderns are left to the garage. Even for an oil change.
That certainly is part of the appeal for me. I wouldn't think twice about taking one of my previous "low tech" cars to the far end of Italy, etc. knowing whatever went wrong would be fixable. With something modern and infested with electronics I'd have to buy some sort of breakdown insurance that would probably only get me taken to a garage that would be rubbing their hands with glee at the arrival of another sucker.
Visit historic Barnard Castle. Lockdown day trips now available.

curtis

Post by curtis »

Breakdown insurance is not to be sniffed at. I have twice broken down on autoroutes more than 500kms from home with a trailer and a competition car on it. The service I received was impeccable. Special garaging for the night, hotel taxis hire cars trains. Agreed you are stuck for choice on the garage but it gets you out of the poo. We are with the MAIF for the modern cars.
Drive fast, attract the Police. Drive faster, attract sponsors.

whyme?

Post by whyme? »

Don't really have a favourite but the ones I remember enjoying were Mitsubishi Starions.
I bought a second hand 2 litre turbo, ran it for a year & traded it in for a brand new 2.6 litre wide body version.
Great fun to drive.