Your best car

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Aardvark

Your best car?

Post by Aardvark »

Perhaps it would be relevant to list your best car, as a companion thread to the "Worst Car" thread.
Hopefully not too many modern ones. We know the late stuff is supposedly better in all respects, but what about the ones we've had from the time we were just starting out.
Visit historic Barnard Castle. Lockdown day trips now available.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Re: Your best car?

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

More like cars I've had, some were better than others. Started with a Holden automatic, a big car for a new driver. Not long after arriving in the UK got given a Riley Elf from my sister-in-law's mother-in-law, needed £1 spent on it to buy a pulley wheel which my b-i-l fitted.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

Humber Super Snipe auto, Mk2 Granada auto, Zodiacs, Zephyrs, Mk 1 Vanguard, and right up to date my Berlingo and Partner. I have been very lucky I suppose but my good cars have far outweighed the bad ones. :)

mysty

Post by mysty »

My SLC is the best car I have ever owned.
250klm top speed and can transport tools :lol:
It also has better fuel consumption than my van.
20200529_205121.jpg
20200529_205223.jpg
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

jsks

Your best car

Post by jsks »

By your best car I mean the one that was most satisfying. It could be because it was cheap, pretty, reliable or played a crucial role in your life.

After some chin-scratching I'm going for a not very obvious Citroen Berlingo. It was a 1.4 petrol, did 70k miles in 2 years almost always loaded to the roof with children, dogs etc. It even made one memorable journey with 500kg of cement in the boot, 2 quite large boys sitting on that and the dog in the front footwell at OH's feet. And I just didn't care if it got bumped, dirty or abused. Very satisfying.

jsks

Post by jsks »

Aardvark wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:44 pm
Perhaps it would be relevant to list your best car, as a companion thread to the "Worst Car" thread.
Hopefully not too many modern ones. We know the late stuff is supposedly better in all respects, but what about the ones we've had from the time we were just starting out.
Actually, my post above should have been the first post but it didn't post. Dunno why.

Gigi

Re: Your best car

Post by Gigi »

My favourite car was a Triumph Vitesse saloon, a lovely car to drive - I really loved it. It had to be sold in October 1972 as I couldn’t manage to get the carrycot into the back.

I loved driving down to France every year in our Renault 12, tent poles and luggage on the roof, the canvas in the rear footwell, our sons’s feet on it.

My husband would say his favourite was his Porsche 944, bought latish on in life, he really loved it, I never drove it as I couldn’t see the end of the bonnet, but I loved riding in it. But it had to go when we (mostly me!) developed creaky knees and a bad back; it was a long way down to sit in it and started feeling twice as far to get back up out of it. He sold it at auction, happily 2 men both really wanted it, driving the price up.

curtis

Post by curtis »

I suppose it would be my first Aston Martin which I bought at the beginning of the 70s. It was a red DB5 reg 729GBL. It was a defining moment I suppose. Such great pleasure and what a head turner. It was a slippery slope afterwards. I became southern rep for the Owner's Club and then came two more Astons from the 50s that I raced right up until I came to France 23 years ago. I kept one here for a while and then it was sold and I got back into rallying which was my first love.
Drive fast, attract the Police. Drive faster, attract sponsors.

bluebird

Post by bluebird »

Best car by far was a BMW 3 Series M Sport. Loved it !!

Most enjoyable car was a Mini 850. Bought from someone about to scrap it - fixed up and resprayed - oodles of fun driving round all those Derbyshire country lanes. Even sold it for a nice profit :good:

Ally

Post by Ally »

Last century - Mk3 Cortina GXL
This century - Peugeot 607