A place for some light-hearted chat.
lindal1000

Re: Your Worst Car?

Post by lindal1000 »

Austin Allegro. Donated to me and sister by my father. Absolute pile of sh*t

lindal1000

Post by lindal1000 »

I also had a Fiat 126 when I lived in Canada. It caught fire. Unfortunately the nearest Fiat dealership was 700 miles away. The car wasn't too bad apart from that.

jsks

Post by jsks »

I believe the Fiat numbering system merely denoted the expected number of breakdowns per year.

bluebird

Post by bluebird »

Nifty wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 7:14 am
bluebird wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:35 pm
A dull blue Fiat Uno. Only bought it to tide me over for a few weeks, but I don't think I even kept it that long :lol: :lol:
What was the problem with it?

I have had a few that had faults. Which was worst is impossible to say. Memory is not that good. I suppose it has to be the one that I brought at the auction at Camberly which broke down when I drove it home. When I went back to get it with a mate it was not where I left it, so, I just forgot about it.
When I had that car it must have been the era when you could still get a dodgy MOT (this one had just been given a 12 months ticket) The brakes and suspension were appalling and there were were other problems. The only thing that was ok was it had a really sporty little engine. Everything else was pretty rubbish :lol: :lol:

Monsieur3seas

Post by Monsieur3seas »

I had a string of company cars starting with a Ford Sierra 1600, moving to a Sierra 2 litre and them promoted to a Granada Ghia - absolutely fabulous. When the lease ran out got the new Granada Ghia (I think that's what it was called). It was awful - ugly, uncomfortable and underpowered. Had trouble getting up a steep hill nearby. Ford stopped making them they were so bad.

Joinfrance

Post by Joinfrance »

The one I have now, and am stuck with for the duration. A Fiat Panda. Not yet 4 years old but knew I had bought the wrong car within 2 weeks of buying it new! Nothing really wrong with it. It’s a granny car, but sometimes I just need a bit of oomph!

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Joinfrance wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 9:51 am
The one I have now, and am stuck with for the duration. A Fiat Panda. Not yet 4 years old but knew I had bought the wrong car within 2 weeks of buying it new! Nothing really wrong with it. It’s a granny car, but sometimes I just need a bit of oomph!
For a short time I had an old style Panda 4x4. Embarrasing to drive but I was so pleased when I could drive easily past the Chelsea Chariots at the Beaulieu Boatjumble being tractor towed out of the muddy field parking area. :lol: :lol:
Visit historic Barnard Castle. Lockdown day trips now available.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:43 pm
I think that variant had the normal outer CV joints but hardy spicer universal joints on the inner end instead of the rubber doughnuts (another BL gripe) which may have seemed a good idea to get rid of the jelly doughnuts but as a universal joint produces a non constant velocity they must always be fitted in pairs on a shaft, there will have been some destructive torsional fatigue loadings going on & I'm surprised they did not shear.

Jobs I hated on Minis & 1100's, too many too list but a special mention must be made of the waterpump bypass hose, common to all A series engines but impossible to access on FWD ones and the drivetrain idler gear needle roller bearings.
Try replacing that bypass hose at the side of the road, at night in the rain. :cry:
Visit historic Barnard Castle. Lockdown day trips now available.

ajm

Post by ajm »

Monsieur3seas wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 9:42 am
I had a string of company cars starting with a Ford Sierra 1600, moving to a Sierra 2 litre and them promoted to a Granada Ghia - absolutely fabulous. When the lease ran out got the new Granada Ghia (I think that's what it was called). It was awful - ugly, uncomfortable and underpowered. Had trouble getting up a steep hill nearby. Ford stopped making them they were so bad.
Could it have been the Scorpio ? That was an ugly beast!
If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself. Mae West.

oblong

Post by oblong »

My first was my worst
Ford Zephyr V4
Rusted away. Went round corners like a barge without a rudder.
Crashed it into a fence. Last I saw of it was it being towed to be scrapped.
Wish I never swopped my AJS 500 single for it.
You can pay £10k for them now.