Your Worst Car?

A place for some light-hearted chat.
rabbit

Re: Your Worst Car?

Post by rabbit »

Alfa Guilietta. It had large patches of rust that appeared on bonnet and doors. A crazy setup of gearbox on the back axle that meant the prop shaft spun at engine speed and vibrated like a spindryer

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle »

A Simca 100 GLS. A rot box throughout. Definitely the worst car I have ever owned. A very sophisticated system was supposed to "reburn" all the waste gases. Unfortunately when it ran downhill against a shut throttle it built up a vacuum in the sump and it promptly stopped. Most disquieting to say the least!
“Never argue with a know-it-all. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Ally

Post by Ally »

I had a pal with a LHD Simca in Scotland. He was from a well known Italian/Scottish family and had a distinctive and unforgettable name. Everybody called him the guy with the LHD Simca.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

rabbit wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:08 am
Alfa Guilietta. It had large patches of rust that appeared on bonnet and doors. A crazy setup of gearbox on the back axle that meant the prop shaft spun at engine speed and vibrated like a spindryer
A compromised set up admittedly but certainly not crazy, it was for better weight distribution and in the case of the Alfetta GTV made for the most balanced and best handling car road that I have ever driven.

Didn't make it a good car though and it together with most Alfas and all Lancias are deserved of the worst car I've owned accolade but it was for their engines, suspension and transmission systems that people bought them and not their reputation for reliability.

Is it even any different today?

Hal

Post by Hal »

Vanden Pls Princess 4! Money drain big time and could not sell it on!

Now, the Imp? Adored them! Possibly fuelled by my teenage homones, we had in Ireland then a babe rally driver, Rosemary Smith who not only took the Imp to motoring fame, she was quite happy to pose seductively with the car - so we all went out bought various models in knackered form! :D :D I remeber especially the pneumatic throttle... :evil:

jsks

Post by jsks »

Hal wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 3:45 pm
... I remeber especially the pneumatic throttle... :evil:
The car or Miss Smith?

Ally

Post by Ally »

... or Hal? WEYHEY!

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

jsks wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 4:03 pm
Hal wrote:
... I remeber especially the pneumatic throttle... :evil:
The car or Miss Smith?
That was my immediate reaction, we should both grow up :oops: I plan to do so next year but next year never comes.

Stupid idea for a throttle and there were loads of other crazy things about the Pimp, a very good TV program was made about its conception and production, presented by James May I think.

Medd een Scotland!

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

Hal wrote:
Vanden Pls Princess 4! Money drain big time and could not sell it on!

Now, the Imp? Adored them! Possibly fuelled by my teenage homones, we had in Ireland then a babe rally driver, Rosemary Smith who not only took the Imp to motoring fame, she was a goooquite happy to pose seductively with the car - so we all went out bought various models in knackered form! :D :D I remeber especially the pneumatic throttle... :evil:
I seem to remember that in the late 1960s Imp’s were making a good impression in rallying.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I would say that the worst car that I bought wanting to buy, thinking it would be good rather than to do up and sell was a Morris Marina Coupé bought from auction that drank more oil than carburant but could lay down impressive smoke screens on command!

It was only an asthmatic 1.3 but the axle tramp was bad enough, the 1.8 TC's were appalling and could not even get traction to pull away on the flat and level if there was any damp on the road surface.

The Nissan Cherry Europe and Cherry Turbo were an appaling mix of a decent Japanese vehicle with Alfa Romeo running gear, both of them had torque steer so bad that they would take up the whole road when accelerating hard.