Any favourite paintings?

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Polarengineer

Re: Any favourite paintings?

Post by Polarengineer »

On a serious note. This had me stunned. Der Angler by Thomas Theodor Heine ( on a good day)
Attachments
IMG_0497.JPG
I have experienced a mid winter whiteout on the high tundra between Alta and Skaidi, I tell you, it's no big deal there is nothing to see, anyway, but I must go back there as I think I left the lights on.

Mrs Archy

Post by Mrs Archy »

The Princes in The Tower - Paul Delaroche and The Execution of Lady Jane Grey - I was stunned at the size of it when I saw it in one of the London galleries back in the 1980s! Also one I bought in the 1970s that was hanging on the railings around Hyde Park? Brandon Cross I think that was his name - he painted mainly in red & black on white canvas - soldiers/london buses etc - can't remember how much it cost but not a lot and I loved it!
Last edited by Mrs Archy on Thu May 28, 2020 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A vos et nos sourires masqués, puisqu’il ne reste que nos yeux pour parler… Déjà hâte de vous retrouver!

‘The brightest flame casts the darkest shadows’

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

From the Lake by Georgia O’Keeffe

https://www.georgiaokeeffe.net/from-the ... mage1]/0/‬

Franksgranny

Post by Franksgranny »

I know I’m a bit of a Guardianista but during lockdown they have had an art quiz every day from various galleries which are currently closed. I’ve really enjoyed it although I know nothing at all about art. When I was a kid the local council thought it would be a good idea to bring art to such scruffs as ourselves, and every Monday morning we set off to the local gallery in a double decker bus, where we sat cross legged in front of a painting whilst it was explained to us, I really enjoyed it, far more than the pottery class which followed our break time chasing about amidst the Victorian gravestones of the local church. Sadly education is far to rigid these days to allow such outings, not to mention the cost involved, some spark was obviously lodged in me at that time.

jsks

Post by jsks »

I don't know what it is about Grant Wood's American Gothic that strikes me as deeply sad and hopeless. Whatever, it's a stunning hit of work:
download.jpeg
download.jpeg (9.18 KiB) Viewed 112 times
Incidentally, the Gothic refers to the window on the prefab behind the subjects.

bluebird

Post by bluebird »

7264745.jpg
Hockney - Garrowby Hill

Joinfrance

Post by Joinfrance »

I’ve been to Kawakawa, it’s very interesting, but it doesn’t remind me of Duchamp.
Here’s some Klimt. I hope!
60434768-7ED0-4901-B97E-5D690108B6C2.jpeg
Not klimt but never mind...