The second wave of CV19 in France

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Crystal

Re: The second wave of CV19 in France

Post by Crystal »

I agree LD, I think that when accurate antibody tests are available and rolled out to the general public, the percentage found to have already been infected with the virus will be surprising...and if those people are found to have long lasting immunity to the virus, that would be fantastic.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

That seems to be the way of things, natural selection and all that.

I intend taking a voluntary (paid) test, I'm fairly certain that my UK neighbours both had it, they were very very ill, and its possible/probable that they may have contaminated me, at about the right time I had diarrhée which is very unusual for me and no more than a bit of snivelling and sneezing nothing more than that, I have a very strong immune system so it would be interesting to know if I have been exposed to it and if I have it will almost certainly have been from them as I was isolated well before after an eye operation and after with the confinement.

I was tested twice for CV19 and was negative but that was just outside the time that I would have been infectious.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I wonder if they will actually be rolled out to the general public? I suppose it depends on what the initial testing indicates the % of the population with immunity, if they can be reasonably sure its 60, 70, 80% etc what would be the purpose of testing everybody? You cant keep people away from it for ever.

rabbit

Post by rabbit »

Crystal wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:10 pm
I agree LD, I think that when accurate antibody tests are available and rolled out to the general public, the percentage found to have already been infected with the virus will be surprising...and if those people are found to have long lasting immunity to the virus, that would be fantastic.
It has been rolled out in our area. My wife had a seralogical test yesterday.

lindal1000

Post by lindal1000 »

The western world has been in a historically unique position for the past 100 years, in that it has been able to control most diseases that in the past would have killed many hundreds of thousands. Not so in the less affluent countries where diseases like malaria still kill many people, but we have been lucky. Now a new disease arrives that shows we are mortal, not infallible, can't cure everything, and my view is that we are just going to have to live with it.
Progress will be made with treatments for the most sick, and maybe in 10 years time they will have an effective vaccine. For some people living with it may mean that they decide to live in semi isolation for the rest of their lives..but for those under 40 who for the most part are barely affected by it, they will want to just.get on with their lives.

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

Perhaps the best we can hope for is 'resistance to' rather than immunity. That way we can live with it for a long time to come. Of course suitable treatments may be developed before the elusive vaccin, and that will help.